out of town ramblings

Oh, hi! I haven’t been around in a while have I? Well, I had company over the weekend and now I’m back in Maine, this time at my sister’s place near the coast. I wanted to visit before the summer’s over, and the timing was good so I could see my nephew (he’s at my sister’s for a couple of days too) before he heads to his new Air Force assignment in England later this week for who knows how long. It was also our last chance to get to the beach before school starts up. It was a perfect day for it yesterday, sunny and hot, and the ocean was so much warmer than my last visit. This is Maine though – the ocean is never that warm!

The boy officially starts kindergarten next Thursday. It’s so hard to believe. We’re all excited for it, but his nerves have been getting to him a bit the last couple of weeks. Can you say cranky and bad attitude? I can. I’ve been practicing a lot lately. As in “change your attitude!” and “why are you so cranky?!”

The only thing I’m nervous about regarding school is the bus. Besides the usual “Oh my god, my baby is going to be on the same bus as 4th graders” but also where the bus stop is. We got the bus schedule and found out that no they don’t automatically pick up kindergartners at their houses. Yikes.

We live in a pretty rural neighborhood so I thought that was a normal assumption. However. His bus stop is actually at the bottom of our road dead end road. There are no sidewalks on either our road or the road it connects with. It’s a very scary corner. There are lots of speeding cars whizzing by, and there have been two hit and runs in that spot in the last two months, both at night, but still!!

Needless to say, I sent a letter requesting a bus stop change to our driveway. He’s the only kid on that bus from our street so I imagine it will happen, but probably not in time for next week. I think I’ll be driving him in myself for a while.

What I am looking forward to most is having my mornings all to myself so I can blog get my work done a little easier. The boy and I have had a really great summer together, better than I expected, but he does get a bit bored with me on the computer so much. I think we’re both ready for a new routine, and he’s definitely ready for a new challange.

So what about you all, are you ready for school to start or sad that summer’s almost over?

Comments

6 Responses to “out of town ramblings”

1. Nicole on August 19th, 2008 3:33 pm

I so enjoyed our time together… my toes look great, I am still full, I have been able to work on my blanket with my new yarn, and love all my yard sale finds. Only bad thing, is I am really sick now, and all I want is Hot and Sour Soup, and its TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot wait for the kids to get back, so I can complete their back to school shopping. I remember the day I walked first born into Kindergarten, now he is going into 7th grade. Time flies, today is a gift, thats why its called the present!

2. MommyTime on August 19th, 2008 8:05 pm

Ohhh, Kindergarten! Such a big milestone. I’m scared about the bus thing too, and we’re still a year away from the first one going to kindergarten. I hope they change your bus stop pronto.

MommyTimes last blog post..The Power of Place

3. pgoodness on August 19th, 2008 9:39 pm

I’m both – excited and sad. Summer, though crazy, has been fun. But I really should spend more than a couple hours a week in my office, and it’s time for some structure, I guess. I’m excited for Matt to start Kindergarten – but a little freaked that he’s going to be eating lunch in a lunch room!! And he’ll be gone ALL day!
    We don’t have to worry about the bus – our subdivision actually is a C shape around the school, so we’ll likely walk or drive everyday. I hope they listen to you about the stop being in such a scary spot!!

pgoodnesss last blog post..you can’t stop him, you can only hope to contain him

4. Kim @ Up North Mommy on August 20th, 2008 9:06 pm

I’m excited for Little Man, but sad at the same time, too.

You know, it never occurred to me that he’ll be riding the bus with older kids. I mean, yes I know there will be older kids, but I just pictured him in my mind on the bus with kids his own age. Yikes!

One thing that’s got me nervous is that kindergarten here is all day/every day. That’s an awful lot for such little kids. So, he begin September 2nd with just a half day. Then, it’s full time from there.

I hope I’m ready for this.

5. sometimessophia on August 21st, 2008 8:35 am

Another well-deserved award for you!! Check it out…

sometimessophias last blog post..And the winner is… (envelope, please)

6. Kaza on August 25th, 2008 7:42 pm

I was SO ready for it, and last week was amazing. I am still marveling at how much more work gets done in a day when you’re not interrupted every five minutes (or five seconds on the worst days). I don’t blame you on the bus thing, that sounds so scary. I think I’d be driving him in for awhile too!

Kazas last blog post..Normal Life Restored

Bad Behavior has blocked 292 access attempts in the last 7 days.