remission

That’s a beautiful word isn’t it? Especially when it’s someone you know.

My father is in remission.

He has Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. The last couple of years have been steeped in chemo and all its side effects. Here’s the thing about Lymphoma, it never really goes away, you’re never really cancer-free. You beat it back, and you beat it back some more. The very best thing you can hear about Lymphoma is the word remission. We’ve waited a long time to hear this, and I got the word yesterday.

The timing of my father’s remission is bittersweet though, because his little sister’s cancer is now beyond treatment. It’s far past surgery or chemo or radiation, and into the realm of morphine and time. Her name is Marie, after their mother. When my grandmother died I was very young, and in my mind my Aunt Marie became a living reminder for me, in name, in looks, in voice,. In hugs. If I had had a daughter instead of a son, she would have been Emma Marie.

So I am happy today, but I am also sad. I live my normal life everyday, for my son, for my husband, for me. But in the back of my mind, I’m waiting for one of those phone calls. It might come tomorrow, or this week, or maybe next, but it come soon.

Peace be with you, my dear Aunt Marie.

Comments

12 Responses to “remission”

1. joanne on September 27th, 2008 7:29 pm

What a bittersweet post. Your Aunt sounds very special to you. Times like these are so difficult, that I wish you peace, too. Thank you for visiting my blog.

joannes last blog post..Coffee Connection II

2. amy on September 28th, 2008 6:15 am

so sorry about yr aunt and so happy for yr father. llike joanne said- so bittersweet…xo take care

3. maggie, dammit on September 28th, 2008 8:25 am

Ohhh, this is so bittersweet. I’m so thrilled for your dad and so heartbroken for your aunt, for all of you.

I’m so, so sorry.

4. mumma boo on September 28th, 2008 11:47 am

Truly bittersweet. It’s wonderful news about your dad and sadness for what Marie is going through. May you all find peace and know that many prayers are with you.

5. Kim @ Up North Mommy on September 28th, 2008 2:04 pm

You must be relieved that your dad is in remission. How sad that it’s been tempered by his sister’s awful news. I’m so sorry.

6. Kristen on September 28th, 2008 7:04 pm

I’m very sorry to hear about your aunt- I’m sure she will draw a great amount of comfort from all her family, especially your dad who can relate with much of what she’s had to deal with. And I’m so happy to hear of your father’s remission. I know this must be a great relief to you. My prayers are with your dad and his sister…

Kristens last blog post..The DMV lives up to its reputation

7. Stimey on September 28th, 2008 8:24 pm

I’m so happy to hear about your father. And I’m very sorry about your aunt. Hugs.

Stimeys last blog post..I Think I May Have Given Up

8. sometimessophia on September 29th, 2008 8:46 am

So sorry to hear about your aunt and difficult times for your family. Good news about your dad, however. May he remain strong and his cancer in remission, God willing. Take comfort in the kind thoughts and prayers of friends.

sometimessophias last blog post..Fair Food

9. we_be_toys on September 29th, 2008 11:42 am

Oh honey – I’m so happy for you and your dad, but I hate that you’re going through it all with your aunt.

I’m headed up to NY this coming weekend to say goodbye to my own aunt – a different kind of cancer – so I really get what it means.

I’m so sorry.

we_be_toyss last blog post..We Was Rotten Kids, Part I

10. Christy on September 29th, 2008 2:52 pm

I’m so sorry. There’s nothing anybody can say to make a difference, I know, but I mean it none the less. When my (foster) dad died of brain cancer, I just couldn’y wrap my brain around the idea that he was doing “so much better” just 6 months before. My thoughts and prayers go out to you & your family.

Christys last blog post..Husband Speak

11. Kaza on October 2nd, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi… catching up finally here. Awesome on your dad’s news, but so sorry about your aunt. ((HUGS))

Kazas last blog post..No, I Have Not Fallen off the Face of the Earth

12. rest in peace | Catnip and Coffee on October 24th, 2008 12:29 pm

[…] aunt passed away this morning after a very long and valiant battle with cancer. Even though it was […]

Bad Behavior has blocked 345 access attempts in the last 7 days.