37 degrees

That was the temperature in my bedroom when I woke up this morning. It was the coldest room in the house. That was good news actually, because that meant none of the pipes froze. The boy and I slept up there with lots of comforters and fleece blankets and we were cozy except for our noses! DH slept (barely) on the couch next to the fireplace so he could stoke the fire all night long. George kept stealing his warm sleeping bag every time he got up!

VIP came through with the generator today. They were so efficient and friendly. An electrician friend hardwired it to the furnace so it’s slowly warming up in here. We have enough power for the chest freezer in the garage, our laptops, the wireless hub, and one tv. No lights, no cooking. But that’s okay. We’re much luckier than most here. We lost everything in our refrigerator including the frozen stuff but that’s not as much as it sounds. I’m just dreading cleaning it out.

The boy is now on the way to spend a few days the the MIL’s house. They came to get him (three hours each way!!) at noon so he doesn’t have to put up with this anymore. There won’t be school for at least a few days anyway. I had to send him with a bag full of dirty clothes. Having been sick all week, I never did any laundry expecting I would be able to do it this weekend. Oops! He was desperately in need of a bath too!

I’m looking forward to the house being warm enough later that I can use some of the hot water for a shower. My butt is is a solid block of ice. Before that though, we have to go out and get some more gas for the generator and some warm food for us. Then we can settle in for the night again with fresh hope for electricity tomorrow.

Comments

9 Responses to “37 degrees”

1. Write From Karen on December 14th, 2008 2:35 pm

You poor thing. Hang in there!

Write From Karens last blog post..Monday Morning Sneak Peek

2. AndreAnna on December 14th, 2008 2:55 pm

Ugh, I would just DIE in a room that cold. I have such a hard time staying warm when it is like 65 in my room. 😉

Hope you get your power back soon but yay for the generator!

AndreAnnas last blog post..Memories Made

3. sam {temptingmama} on December 14th, 2008 6:32 pm

OMG. I Have no idea how you guys are handling that. I would be out of my mind with cold. It’s one thing for it to be that cold outside the house. But in? Hell to the NO. I would have wrapped myself around the fireplace. LOL

4. Meg on December 14th, 2008 6:49 pm

dont you miss august?

here’s hoping for some power soon.

Megs last blog post..36x365x127

5. Joanne on December 14th, 2008 7:55 pm

omg, keep warm with sweaters & blankets! Reminds me of the big ice storm of 1973? when we were without power for days, in December then, too. Hope you get your electricity back soon.

Joannes last blog post..Christmas Giveaway

6. Candy on December 14th, 2008 8:16 pm

I hope you are warmer tonight. Lots of snuggling helps with that!

7. Stimey on December 14th, 2008 8:30 pm

Wow, you have such a good attitude. I am impressed by you. I’d be whining up a storm by now. I’m crossing my fingers for electricity for you tomorrow.

Stimeys last blog post..Aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd…DONE!

8. Melissa on December 15th, 2008 10:20 am

You do have a good attitude – seriously, if you need a hot shower or whatever, stop by!

Melissas last blog post..Updates…

9. T with Honey on December 15th, 2008 11:00 am

Oh, you could have saved the stuff in your fridge. With the cold temps over the weekend I just took everything out, put it in coolers and stuck it on the deck (frozen) or garage (refrigerator)!

And I’ve never loved our gas grill as much as I do now. It means we’ve been able to spend a little less money by making some meals at home.

I’m so glad VIP came through with a generator and that your fam and house is safe. It is so nice to sleep in a warm house in our own beds. The only problem is the noise from so many generators running, not just ours, is making sleep a bit elusive.

Hoping power is back for all of us soon!

T with Honeys last blog post..Don’t know what you’ve got till its gone

Bad Behavior has blocked 360 access attempts in the last 7 days.