run walk intervals

Okay, I’m going to tell you all something that isn’t going to seem like a bit deal to most, but is a very big deal to me.

I went for my usual 2.5 mile walk this morning and somehow I was motivated to do a few running intervals. (Okay, this might have motivated me a bit – go read it!) I do that once in a while but frankly running has never ever been my thing. Today it didn’t seem quite so…hard. I ended up running a bit more than I walked.

That loop typically takes me 65 minutes when I walk it. Today it took me exactly 45 minutes. I took 20 minutes off my time!

Here’s another good thing, I took 5700 steps so far today, and of those it counted 5550 of them as aerobic. Woot! So my whole “walk” today was fast enough to be aerobic – not easy to do!

BTW, I finally got my pedometer to count closer to correct. Last time I took the same route it counted 3800 steps and only 850 were aerobic! (Generally 1 mile = 2000 steps, but my legs are short so I think I take a few more per mile.)

I may be a sweaty mess, and I’m not sure which is going to explode first – my heart or my lungs (!), but I’m happy. Like I said, it may not seem like much to some, especially if you’re already a runner, but it’s a milestone for me.

Do you know what thoughts were in my head when I was running? I actually considered training to run a 5k. I can’t stop thinking about it even now. Huh. Imagine that.

Comments

11 Responses to “run walk intervals”

1. LifeAsIKnowIt on May 18th, 2009 9:45 am

yay! that’s great!! I just started the run/walk intervals about a month ago and ran my first mile (a big deal for me) yesterday morning. It felt so good! I was also crazily thinking about a 5K too…
    maybe we can motivate each other?

LifeAsIKnowIts last blog post..Just One Mile

2. catnip on May 18th, 2009 9:48 am

It’s so nice to hear from someone who understands! Yes, absolutely we can work on motivating each other. ๐Ÿ™‚ As hard as it is to write about this is stuff, this is exactly why I do it.

3. kristen on May 18th, 2009 9:52 am

That’s awesome!! And you are doing the right thing- mixing a little running in with the walking is a great way to get it in. A lot of people just try and go out and run all out for a few miles and they usually end up either hurting themselves or are so exhausted and achy for days that they never want to do it again. Let me know when you’re ready for that 5k- I’ll do it with you!

kristens last blog post..The results are inโ€ฆ

4. Krista on May 18th, 2009 9:53 am

I don’t think that a 5k is such a crazy thought. Have you looked into the Couch to 5k program? It does pretty much what you are doing. Walking with running portions that get longer each week. I did it a few years ago and it was great (and I hate running!).

Kristas last blog post..I Can Hear My Knitting Laughing at Me

5. Nicole on May 18th, 2009 11:46 am

I am super impressed! Good for you!
    Maybe you will do the triathelon with me next year??? You have the bike… you are working on the run… we’ll just have to work on the swim. Lets look for a 5k in the area like in Sept and I will do it with you! It will be a great short term goal.

Nicoles last blog post..Showing Love thru Chili

6. T with Honey on May 18th, 2009 11:49 am

Do the 5K! I ran the Cigna a few years ago while pushing Princess in a stroller and it was so much fun. Being at the back of the pack I had to walk for the first few blocks but the atmosphere is fun and if you do run/jog many, many people will help encourage you along the way.

It’s not until August so you have just enough time to start training. ๐Ÿ˜‰

T with Honeys last blog post..Youโ€™ll love this post if youโ€™re a 3 to 9 year old boy

7. Desiree - Mother Musing on May 18th, 2009 12:43 pm

Awesome!! I’ve just started the walk / run thing myself and I’m getting better. Doesn’t it make you feel so good when you accomplish something you didn’t think you could do?
    Keep it girl!
    Ciao

Desiree – Mother Musings last blog post..Wordless Wednesday – 65th Edition

8. Cluckers on May 18th, 2009 6:42 pm

Wow! That is a VERY big deal!!!

9. mumma boo on May 18th, 2009 7:49 pm

Congratulations! That is a huge deal! The closest thing I get to intervals is when Cenzo runs away from me down the block. Then I have to sprint to catch him. ๐Ÿ™‚ I was amazed the first time I did it without feeling like I was going pass out. ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. even the downhills hurt | Catnip and Coffee on May 19th, 2009 9:16 am

[…] can’t even tell you how much I appreciated all of your comments yesterday. The support and encouragement I get from you all means everything to […]

11. Candy on May 19th, 2009 9:40 am

wow…you go girl!!!!!

Bad Behavior has blocked 468 access attempts in the last 7 days.