what gall

In case you haven’t seen my moaning and groaning on twitter you might not know that I’m happily ensconced begrudgingly captive in the hospital. I had a massive gall bladder attack in the middle of the night on Monday (well really Tuesday by then.) I’ve known for about three years that I’ve had gallstones but I’ve never been symptomatic. My first attack is my last attack.

I’m having surgery sometime this afternoon. Hopefully it will go easily and be done laproscopically so I can go home tomorrow and heal fast. If they have to open me up I’ll be stuck here for a few more days.

My friends. I have not eaten anything since Monday evening. Raspberry Italian Ices do not count as food. I was only allowed clear effing liquids all day yesterday. Up until midnight. Now I’m denied even the smallest sip of water. Clearly I’m a prisoner and I’m being tortured! Isn’t withholding food against the Geneva Convention?? All I get are these little green sponges on a stick to dip in ice water and wet my mouth. Unacceptable I say. Unacceptable! I’m ready to chew those dang sponges. They look a little like jolly ranchers!

I have to say thank you to my lovely husband who thank God had this week off anyway so he can take care of Josh, and he brought me my computer last night. What more could a girl ask for? (Food would be nice!)

Also, my friend Nicole who babysat last night while Damon had his final exam last night AND she mopped my floors! I know for a fact she mopped in places I haven’t touched since I moved in three years ago! She’s taking care of Josh again this afternoon so Damon can be here while I have my surgery. AND she bought me the pretty blue nail polish I wanted so I can have sparkly toes for BlogHer. Love her. It’s good to have good friends.

And then there’s my sister Carolyn who talked me through some pain last night while I was waiting for meds. Did I mention the meds? Mmmm. Dilauded. Good stuff. Oooooooo. The nurse is giving me some right now. I feeeellll funkkkkkyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

You know when you’re a little drunk and you lie down and those pesky bedspins kick in? That’s what Dilauded feels like when I first get it. Then I fall asleep whether I want to or not. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

OMG the cotton mouth is killing me. Sorry, off topic. Now she’s bringing me anti nausea meds. Cause you know what else dilauded does? Makes you want to puke. Except I have nothing left to puke up. So I have hunger nausea. Oh joy, that feeling brings me back to pregnancy days. Not something I ever wanted to relive.

Okay so not only did my sister talk me through the pain, then she was content to listen to me ramble and giggle for a good hour after I got the meds. I have no idea what I said.

Just like I have no idea what I’m writing now! Drugged up blogging, uh huh.

So you know my very favorite things about the hospital? Let’s do a bullet list!

Can’t. Keep. My. Eyes. Open. And I think I’m gonna hurl. Can’t go back and edit. Hope this post is semi-coherent. yikes.

I could use some comment love peeps. Keep me entertained?

Comments

26 Responses to “what gall”

1. Helen/Dudley on July 1st, 2009 9:15 am

Oh I feel your pain! My final gall bladder attack happened on a trip up the Garden State Parkway. It was just me and my cat, Tigger, in the car and we hit every rest stop, until I finally had to stop and call my parents to come rescue me. The funniest thing was my mom driving my car with me doubled over in the passenger seat and Tigger “helping” (she was above travelling in a carrier) my mom driving. I hope they come get you for the surgery soon and then it is blissful delirium for you. Fingers crossed here that all goes well and you are home soon!

2. Mom on July 1st, 2009 9:18 am

Hey Annette,
    You are tooo funny, still blogging away! Wish we could be there, but Damon assures us you are in good hands, and it sounds like it.
    One of our Paradox (pair of doctors, get it?) neighbors was over last night after Damon called us and he (Dr. Paradox) said gall stone surgery is so common the doctors almost could do it in their sleep, so not to worry! I don’t know, a doctor sleeping during surgery on someone else doesn’t exactly inspire me with confidence, but he said it was only a figure of speech.
    But I digress, he also said that attacks frequently happen after someone loses weight – and editorialized “How fair is THAT?!”
    So we are thinking of you and your little drinking sponges (hmmm, maybe you’ll start a new trend at your house – bet Josh would like to try drinking from a sponge!). Sending good strong healthy thoughts at ya,
    love & hugs, Mom & Seth

3. nicole on July 1st, 2009 9:21 am

okay… bullet comment love

– thank god you messed up your pills, can you imagine having your period right now?!?

– I will bring you hot and sour soup Thursday night (and anything else your heart desires)

– Think about the pounds you are shedding… not only from starvation, but you get to have a whole organ removed! Total advantage for this months weigh-in!

4. Cassandra Comerford on July 1st, 2009 9:36 am

I hope that everything is going well or went well or is going to go well. I have nothing of entertainment value for you I really wish I did – but I’m out of coffee and thus out of steam, energy and also the will to live.

I’ll be checking on you. 🙂

5. moonspun on July 1st, 2009 9:47 am

hey…will be thinking of you!
    I had no idea that hospitals had free wifi! I guess that’s a bonus, if you can’t eat and someone is watching your pee outake, you might as well blog….

6. Candy on July 1st, 2009 10:06 am

Aren’t drugs amazing? If you think you feel good now, wait until you wake up after your surgery!!! Hoping you do get to have the “lap” so you can hurry home to your boys! Your post is hilarious btw. Best of wishes and speedy recovery. Talk to you soon. Isn’t sucking sponges fun? I mean, really???!!!!

7. AndreAnna on July 1st, 2009 10:09 am

I, too, have been down this road. The worst part of recovery was the stupid air – such shoulder pain!

You’ll feel tons better without that stupid gall bladder anyway!

8. Mary Beth (Cats, Books, Life is Good) on July 1st, 2009 10:48 am

I blame Susan Powter for the loss of my gall bladder – it was after being on her fat free diet for 4 months that mine gave up the ghost. Hopefully, they will take you soon and then you won’t have to worry about it anymore. I was doing fine after my surgery and they were going to let me go home that day (mine went off at 7:00 AM) and I really wanted to walk to the car but they wouldn’t let me. The hospital insisted that an orderly push me in a wheel chair. I thanked him by throwing up all over his shoes in the parking lot cause motion sickness on top of surgery is NOT a good mix!

9. mumma boo on July 1st, 2009 11:09 am

Oh, Annette, I’m sending you LOTS of good wishes right now. Hope the surgery went well and that you’re home in a flash! ((((HUGS))))

10. Pocklock on July 1st, 2009 11:22 am

HUGS, HUGS, HUGS AND MORE HUGS!! I hope all goes super smooth and you’re up and attem before you know it.

xoxox

11. T with Honey on July 1st, 2009 11:45 am

Free wi-fi at the hospital? If that’s the same one I’ll be delivering this baby at later this month then I’d better add laptop to the list of things to pack in my bag.

Hope you’re feeling better soon!!

12. AnnetteK on July 1st, 2009 11:51 am

I love you guys. And that’s not just the pain meds talking. xoxo

13. LifeAsIKnowIt on July 1st, 2009 12:00 pm

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear you are locked up in the hospital without food (but good drugs).
    Yikes. Hope surgery and recovery go well and quickly!

14. Margaret on July 1st, 2009 12:10 pm

Ughhh – been there, done that. I had a pretty bad one when I was 7 weeks pregnant with Meenie. And since my OB didn’t want to take any chances, I had to wait 10 months (because the surgeon who wanted to operate while I was pregnant, wasn’t willing to operate until I was 2 months postpartum – go figure) to have it removed. And I couldn’t have ANY fat in my diet. Did I mention I was pregnant? Ahh fun times!

Hang in there, you’ll be feeling much better real soon! Gallbladder attacks are the worst pain ever!

15. magpie on July 1st, 2009 12:29 pm

Oy – mine acted up, badly, when I was pregnant. I had it out a couple of years ago, and I haven’t missed it.

16. Robin ~ PENSIEVE on July 1st, 2009 12:49 pm

Laughter is the best medicine, right? Wait a second, you were making US laugh (oopsie!!).

Hope you feel better soon and get REAL food, too. Drugged hunger nausea is NOT a good thing; neither is the angry gallbladder!

17. Angella on July 1st, 2009 3:29 pm

Ohhhhh – I hope it all goes well!

18. kristen on July 1st, 2009 3:42 pm

Wow, Annette- this is the first I’m hearing of any of this!! I wish I’d have known so I could have helped out some! Hope you are doing well- sending you lots of prayers and good wishes…I’m off to Ohio tomorrow for the holiday weekend but I’ll give a call when I return. Maybe I can take Josh for a day so you can get some rest…Feel better!!

19. Melissa on July 1st, 2009 5:46 pm

I’m so sorry honey!

I know the hat well. I had to do a 24 hour drop with that when I was pregnant – TWICE – once at home before I gave birth when they thought that I had preeclampsia and then again at the hospital when I had given birth but was still symptomatic. Not so fun.

Here’s to hoping you get well soon!

20. Caro on July 1st, 2009 6:03 pm

Ok, the edited version of your “bullets” was *almost* as funny as your drug-induced babble last night!!! 🙂 Yup, we were both giggling, as I recall, because your remarks were both more shocking and more gross…. 🙂 Hee hee….

Hope you’re recovering well. :)love, love, love
    ~C

21. Krista on July 1st, 2009 6:23 pm

Oh no! That isn’t any fun at all. :p I hope that the surgery goes smoothly and that you get to go home really soon! It always feels so much better to be in your own bed when you’re sick.

Oh, and once they let you eat again, you should have something really tasty – like risotto! 🙂

22. lisa fellows on July 1st, 2009 10:20 pm

You are a “hoot”. One week visiting in Maine and the next week blogging from a hospital bed. I have been working late, tried calling, but the other sister was keeping you entertained! Mitchell read your blog to MOM! Love you!

23. Desiree - Mother Musing on July 2nd, 2009 5:05 pm

Well, you still have your sense of humor! That must mean you’ll be all right. =)

Take care & get better soon!!!

Ciao

24. Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom on July 2nd, 2009 8:04 pm

What’s worse than peeing into the hat? When both you and your roommate have to pee in hats. Ew!

Feel better! Rest up for BlogHer, roomie!

25. Mom on July 3rd, 2009 11:03 am

Hey!
    Congrats that the surgery is DONE! It sounds like you have been pretty good, even though you may not think so. The good news is you’re now officially on the mend!
    Josh is being his usual charming self. We stopped at Cabelas on the way home from NH – lots and lots of stuffed wildlife, from gophers and mountain goats to wolves and grizzly bears. When asked what his favorite was, the answer was “The rattlesnake!”. So much for cute and fuzzy. He seems to have his parents’ penchant for weird.
    It is NOT RAINING at this moment – so we are going to walk down to the lake, probably will get wet one way or the other.
    FEEL BETTER! love & hugs,
    Mom & Seth

26. Lindsey on July 10th, 2009 2:30 pm

Peeing in the hat! HA!

Bad Behavior has blocked 494 access attempts in the last 7 days.