let’s try this again

I haven’t talked much about trying to lose weight for a while, mostly because I haven’t lost any, for pretty obvious reasons! However, It’s been 8 weeks since I had my gallbladder surgery, and it’s time to get back at it. I’m healed and cleared to work out now.

My appetite is (unfortunately) normal, and I really do feel pretty good overall. Except. My stomach muscles feel so weak. And the weirdest thing is the numbness on the skin where the nerves were cut. Poke me in the belly pooch and I don’t feel a darn thing. I can feel the muscles deep down when I work out though, just not on the surface. It’s so strange!

Anyway, The last couple of times I went for a walk I got tired very quickly and my abs really felt it. And that was just walking. I haven’t even tried anything else. I haven’t really felt like doing it – like so many other times in my life. It’s too hot. I have too much work to do. It’s too hard to find time when I have Josh at home. I’m too tired.

I need my motivation back! I need to get that feeling back that I had in February and March. I was writing down every bite of food, drinking lots of water, exercising almost every day! I need to start all over again. (This time 34 pounds lighter though!) I know I can, I just have to begin.

My local biggest loser club has its final summer weigh in on Sunday, and hopefully we’re starting over again for the fall months. I don’t think there’s much chance I won for the last few months, but I know I have a shot at the fall. Any local peeps want to join us? Let me know!

I know what you’re thinking, darn I wish I lived there so I can do it too! Right? Right! Well, in a way you can! The Loser Moms Sarah and Devra are doing their own Biggest Loser online competition which I am also joining! Crazy? Yes. Motivated? Also yes! So. Ten bucks, six weeks, starting Sept. 1st! Money motivator! WHO’S IN????

I know a lot of you were on a weight loss journey in the spring too. How are you all doing? Did the summer stall you out like me or are you still going strong? What’s your motivation?

Comments

12 Responses to “let’s try this again”

1. pgoodness on August 25th, 2009 8:53 pm

you can do it – grasp the feeling and hold tight!! Good luck!

2. mayberry on August 25th, 2009 9:41 pm

I started with the 30-day Shred in March thanks to the Shredheads blog. I had a miscarriage in Jan. and I really wanted to lose the pregnancy weight. Preventing people from asking me when I was due was a huge motivator… but working out was/is also really healing, as dopey as that sounds.

Good luck!

3. Carla on August 25th, 2009 10:59 pm

Good luck. I have fought this battle for many years. I’m adding another day with my trainer starting tomorrow at 6 am…uh oh, better get to bed if I don’t want to miss. Good Luck!

4. mumma boo on August 26th, 2009 8:56 am

I, too, have lost my motivation – big time. My surgery sidelined me as well, but I was just thinking the other day that it’s time for me to stop hiding behind that excuse and get my butt in gear. In May, I had set a goal of 10 pounds lighter and more toned by September. Yeah, well, that didn’t happen. So now it’s the same goal, but by November.

Good luck! I know you can do it!!!

5. Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings on August 26th, 2009 11:47 am

I didn’t have surgery to blame…just plain not doing it. Now I have more than 50 pounds to lose. So I’ve started Weight Watchers, which helped me last time and I’ve started walking again. Good luck and hang in there. If you fail one day then pick yourself back up and keep going!

6. moonspun on August 26th, 2009 2:18 pm

I have been part of a weight loss group offered through work (and subsidized by them, too!) It’s more about long term goals than anything else. Re-learning how to cook and eat well. It’s hard to feel motivated to do ANYthing in humidity. Don’t kick yourself for the past, just work on today!

7. Stimey on August 26th, 2009 6:15 pm

You should not even bother because I am going to Take. You. Down. Doesn’t even matter that it was your idea. I’m winning this shebang.

8. Audrey at Barking Mad on August 26th, 2009 10:14 pm

Swim! I swear it does wonders. I just need to do more of it so it can do wonders for me. Hey, if I start swimming now, I suppose I could be in your neck of the woods by, oh, late next week?

9. Elisa on August 29th, 2009 3:08 am

Unfortunately I won’t be able to get much exercise in until we move to our place, we are still in the temp flat. Best of luck!

10. Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah on September 1st, 2009 9:53 am

We will get there.

Together.

11. Kelly D on September 2nd, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi Annette,
    Thank you for leaving a comment on the GNMParents post Passing Out. I talked with my father-in-law about the vasovagal response, he’s a biologist, and we think that is exactly what my daughter has. It’s so nice to be able to put a name on her episodes. Thanks so much!

12. kristen on September 3rd, 2009 3:34 pm

Okay, so this is what you do: You need to pick a race, 5k say, that’s a little ways out and register for it. The simple act of committing to an event like that MAKES you train. Start slow. Some walking mixed in with some jogging. Don’t overdue it the first week- maybe a mile. If you’re feeling okay, add a little more distance in the next week. Keep this up until you’ve gone the distance of the race or even further if possible. If you work on it gradually over the weeks (and give yourself some kind of reward after every time you get out) the motivation will be easier to come by.

Bad Behavior has blocked 296 access attempts in the last 7 days.