go hug somebody today

I didn’t mean to be gone so long. It just sort of happened. Sometimes life just happens and you don’t have time to write about it.

Then sometimes death happens and you don’t know how to write about it.

One of my uncles died on Friday. It wasn’t really unexpected, and in many ways it wasn’t as sad as I thought it would be. Not to say there wasn’t sadness or tears, but there was also that sense of relief when pain is at an end.

The wake and funeral gave me an opportunity to hug cousins that I haven’t seen in more years than I care to count. Those hugs mattered. To them and to me.

It also gave me the opportunity to have a little extra bonding time with my sisters and parents on the long drive to Northern Maine. Oy. Laughter is pretty healing you know, and we’re pretty good at it.

This whole weekend was a reminder how important family is and I’m incredibly fortunate to have so much family in my life.

———————–

Who do you wish you could hug one more time?

I wish I could hug my Memere. She passed away 28 years ago yesterday. I was nine, and I just didn’t get to hug her enough. If you still have a grandparent in your life, could you go hug’em for me?

xo

Comments

10 Responses to “go hug somebody today”

1. Teresa on December 10th, 2009 10:44 pm

I’d love to hug sweet Gracie one more time. I know what you mean. Thanks for the reminder to never take our loved ones for granted! It seems to get easier and easier to do as we get older and busier, but we need to remember to make the time to show our love.

Consider yourself cyber hugged! 🙂

2. Mad Woman on December 11th, 2009 6:00 am

I wish I could hug my great grandmother one more time. I did not get to see her much over the last 15 years….and now I’ll never see her again.

Sorry to hear about your loss. ((HuGS))

3. mumma boo on December 11th, 2009 9:04 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. (((HUGS))) to you and your family.

4. Carla on December 11th, 2009 9:24 am

So sorry on the loss. I know what you mean about the hugging. I’m glad we started telling my Momma we loved her a lot before she died. In my head she still is telling me, “I love you too baby.”

5. moonspun on December 11th, 2009 9:41 am

Laughter is very healing, for sure.
    My grandparents are long gone. I’d very much love to hug my Nana again. And smell her Estee Lauder perfume. She always made me feel so loved and special. I wish my daughter and husband had known her.

6. Amira @ Define "Mature" on December 11th, 2009 10:44 am

My condolences about your uncle and sending hugs your way.

Thanks for the reminder; hugs can be healing.

7. Melissa on December 11th, 2009 3:45 pm

I wish that I could hug my son all the time. I know that he’s still with me but during the day, when I’m at work and he’s at daycare, I really miss him and just want to hug him.

8. magpie on December 11th, 2009 4:02 pm

I wish I had a grandparent to hug, and I’m sorry that my little kid is already down to only three.

All best to you.

9. Stimey on December 16th, 2009 2:28 am

I’m so sorry. It’s always hard to lose family members.

10. Fairly Odd Mother on December 17th, 2009 10:54 pm

No grandparents here, sigh.

I’d hug my dad. He’s been gone for almost 5 years, and I still miss him like crazy.

I’m sorry to hear about your uncle.

Bad Behavior has blocked 296 access attempts in the last 7 days.