stress free or stressful?

Everyone around me is frantic. Shopping, wrapping, traveling, baking, planning, cleaning, shopping some more. Some people seem to thrive on it. The craziness suits them. Others not so much, and crankiness abounds.

The complaining; “Oh I have so much to do! I’ll never get it done it time!” Procrastination, resignation, hurry, hurry, one more week. Sigh.

I succumbed to the pressure and stress around me for just a few days last week. And then I remembered. I don’t have to do anything I don’t want to do.

Holidays are supposed to be fun and relaxing. Even for adults. (Christmas spirit! It’s not just for kids anymore!) It’s okay to stop trying to make Christmas perfect and instead, actually enjoy it. Your family and friends might thank you for it. Your blood pressure might too.

Edited to add: I completely forgot to mention decorating! How could I forget that? Well. Cause I slap up a fake pre-lit tree, put a couple strings of lights on the porch and call it done!

Comments

7 Responses to “stress free or stressful?”

1. moonspun on December 18th, 2009 2:57 pm

Absolutely! I am with you…I baked cookies because lil m wanted to. And really all I did was help her read the recipe and take them in and out of the oven. She did the rest and loved every minute of it. It was fun.
    We don’t have much wrapping to do because we are taking the kids on a family vacation for Christmas…so just a couple gifts…
    and online shopping? Hell yea, baby!

2. Amira @ Define "Mature" on December 18th, 2009 6:10 pm

You are easily the smartest cookie in the jar, one that understands that holidays are supposed to be about relaxing and spending time with family. Not more chores, money, and stress.

Kudos to you!

3. Mad Woman on December 18th, 2009 10:33 pm

I have a 4 foot, pre-lit tree. There’s a Christmas-ey wall hanging just inside my front door and that’s it.

I did all my shopping this morning and we’re having a ham and veggies for dinner on the big day.

This is our first holiday season in New Zealand and I honestly think that it being summer is actually helping with the stress levels!

4. Stimey on December 19th, 2009 9:29 am

Good for you!!!

5. Phil on December 19th, 2009 10:43 am

Sure sounds like us, too. We veg around here.

6. mumma boo on December 22nd, 2009 5:22 pm

That’s the way to do it! Enjoy it!

7. beaglemum on January 7th, 2010 9:57 am

That is the best way to have Christmas – focusing on what is important!

We had a great family moment – as we went sleigh riding in the new snow with little B. He loved it and was amazed that Santa had time to give sleigh rides on Christmas Eve day.

Bad Behavior has blocked 320 access attempts in the last 7 days.