just give me something to blog about

(Disclaimer; If you aren’t blogger, most of this won’t make any sense to you. So don’t even bother!)

Somehow it’s been two weeks since I last blogged. As so kindly pointed out not only by the lovely folks behind the BlogHer ads, and by a real life friend who I didn’t even know was reading here but apparently is tired of looking at my last soup post. ~ahem~ So this one is for you Jen, such as it is. 😉

Anyway, two weeks. There was a time, for a long time, when I couldn’t go two days without writing, much less two weeks. Heck, there were days when I posted twice! I know! What happened that I no longer feel like posting the exciting events minutiae of my day, every day??

Those were the days when I obsessively checked my stats, hoping for more than a handful of hits. I lived and died by how many comments I got in a day. I pimped my posts on twitter and commented like crazy on every blog in my expansive feed reader.

I got my own domain, and a unique design. I thought hard about branding, and niches. I got ads!! (A year and a half and $45 later…) I even started a second blog! Because one was not enough?!!

I envied those going to all the conferences and meeting each other in person. So I went to a conference, and I hugged people I never thought I would meet. I made real-life completely awesome friends. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,* and I loved every minute of it.

But my life got busier in so many ways, and twitter got boring and celebri-fied. I stopped checking Feedburner, and forgot my password to Google Analytics. I stopped using Stumble or Digg, forgot about Technorati, and I haven’t looked at my Page Rank in forever. Heck, I even forgot how to check my Page Rank. And Alexa, wha?

It’s the typical evolution of a blogger. I’m sure you’ve heard it before. (And don’t we all just love these posts?) I know I have, but I never thought it would happen to me! D’oh. and? Duh.

My kid is growing up, and doesn’t really want me telling stories about him here. Posting family pictures in public is getting awkward. One can only blog about a cat so often. (Unless I become the Crazy Cat Lady, and frankly there are too many doing it better.) Weight loss? Heh. Only if it was happening! I have no idea what to blog about. Or even if I want to bother figuring it out. Meh.

And yet, I’m not thinking about shutting it down. I haven’t lost the will to write, just the impetus; that driving force that can turn the smallest moment of the day into a great post. I’d like to be able to do that again.

* Yes, once-in-a-lifetime. I’m not going to BlogHer ’10. As much as I would love to go, I just can’t justify the expense. Sorry peeps. 🙁

Comments

13 Responses to “just give me something to blog about”

1. Mad Woman on February 2nd, 2010 11:00 pm

I get the feeling, I really do. But I hope you’ll keep blogging, even if it’s not as often as you used to. I really like reading your stuff!

2. magpie on February 2nd, 2010 11:11 pm

Yo. That impetus comes and goes, I find.

3. moonspun on February 3rd, 2010 3:26 am

It’s January, the impetus for many things goes away…sigh…
    but I am sure you will find it, especially if you want to…life changes, so can your blog!
    I’ll be here to read when you write…

4. Melissa on February 3rd, 2010 6:40 am

I completely understand but I still miss your posts!

5. Cassandra Comerford on February 3rd, 2010 9:52 am

I so hear where you’re coming from.

6. mumma boo on February 3rd, 2010 1:23 pm

Everyone needs a break once in a while. Clear the cobwebs and let inspiration find you again. When it does, run like heck with it. I’ll be here to read it. 🙂

7. Stimey on February 4th, 2010 8:07 pm

I know what you mean, sorta. I used to blog every single day, and occasionally more than once. Now I’m pretty solidly at 3-4 times a week, which is still a lot, but it’s not every day. I think you find your comfort level after the initial super-excitement wears off and turns into medium excitement.

I like seeing you here though. I’m glad you’re not shutting down. And I wish that you were going to BlogHer 10. I’ll miss you there!

8. Life As I Know It on February 5th, 2010 1:38 pm

I just posted something kind of similar as I just went 2 weeks without posting, as well. But sometimes it’s good for the soul to unplug.

9. Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom on February 5th, 2010 2:43 pm

The beauty of feed readers is that if and when you have something to say, your friends will be here to read.

I don’t look at stats often. And I am so over the whole Twitter party thing. (She says deleting 10 invitations for the latest Twitter party hawking yet another company and product we don’t need.)

You and I just discussed the whole blog conference thing. I think you are making a good decision. I won’t be going to BlogHer10 unless a sponsor literally lands in my lap. (Anyone want to sponsor me?)

The great thing about BlogHer09? I got to meet great people like you, roomie!

10. Jen on February 7th, 2010 12:31 pm

Commenting….;)

11. Candy on February 7th, 2010 7:55 pm

heh heh….I only blogged about 4 times! I do miss keeping up with your life on here though!!!

12. Caro on February 12th, 2010 10:09 pm

I still really like it when you write a line and then cross it out to put something more “appropriate” — it just cracks me up every time! I think it’s ok to take a break and let your muse work. But I have to say that when you were sassing yourself and your “minutiae”, you seemed a lot happier. Where’s your edge these days? Oh…. perhaps having a mortality check or something… 😉

13. Caro on February 12th, 2010 10:18 pm

Oh, and you asked for it:

1. Fainting in church
    2. Rides in ambulances
    3. Scrounging for tiny strawberries
    4. Top ten favorite songs and why
    5. Curly girl glamour tips – including cuts and colors from across time – experiments count!
    6. Trailer trash – yep, you know who….
    7. Everything you ever wanted to share about snakes…. or something….
    8. Cook something weird and take a picture
    9. Buzz on caffeine and sugar, then write
    10. Even better, have a few mudslides with me, then write!! :0

Bad Behavior has blocked 296 access attempts in the last 7 days.