Taps

This morning I listened to the most beautiful rendition of Taps I have ever heard.

I was at my father’s funeral.

*****************

I wish I could put into words how I feel right now. I have such mixed emotions I wouldn’t even know where to start. All of the events of the last week have left me utterly exhausted, weary down to my bones.

I’ve cried, I’ve accepted, I’ve made my peace, I’ve gotten angry, but I did have my moment to say goodbye, and I’m grateful for that. Listening to that short sweet bit of music today summed up everything for me, it was an amazing moment and I will never forget how that felt.

On a side note, I have to thank my family and friends for their love and support. Those who came to see me, called me, send me texts, emails, and facebook messages, they got me through this weekend. Then there were those who came to the wake yesterday and the funeral today, and those who sent flowers when they couldn’t, well, I just wouldn’t have made it through the day without them. I am truly blessed to have so many dear people in my life, really, I have the best friends in the world.

xoxo Annette

Comments

11 Responses to “Taps”

1. Fairly Odd Mother on December 7th, 2010 8:18 pm

I’m so sorry Annette.

Taps undoes me every time. I can’t even imagine hearing it for my parent. Peace to you.

2. mumma boo on December 7th, 2010 11:29 pm

Oh Annette, I’m so sorry. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. May you find peace & comfort soon.

3. magpie on December 8th, 2010 1:31 pm

Thinking of you. It’s hard.

4. Amy on December 8th, 2010 3:03 pm

Oh, A. I am so, so sorry.

5. Becky Mochaface on December 8th, 2010 6:50 pm

I am so incredibly sorry for you loss. I pray that you and your family find comfort in his life and how he impacted yours. Much love and hugs.

6. Amira on December 8th, 2010 8:54 pm

Oh my goodness, what can one say to such news? “I’m so sorry doesn’t seem like enough,” but I am. Keeping you in my thoughts.

7. Niki on December 9th, 2010 5:29 pm

My condolences on the loss of your father. 🙁

I’ve been to a few funerals of family members where Taps was played. I can’t hear it without crying.

(((HUGS)))

8. moonspun on December 9th, 2010 10:16 pm

Oh no! I am sorry to hear of your loss. It’s amazing how profound moments like the playing of taps can affect you. Wishing you time and space to heal and grieve.

9. Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom on December 17th, 2010 10:56 pm

I’m so sorry that it’s taken me this long to extend my condolences to you. I keep opening the post and not writing anything.

I too lost my father this fall.

I am truly sorry to hear about your father and my thoughts are with you.

10. Stimey on December 25th, 2010 11:04 pm

Oh, Annette, I am just catching up in my reader. I am so, so sorry. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to lose a parent as an adult. Love to you.

11. Cristine on January 5th, 2011 11:28 pm

I just found your blog through your facebook, btw… thank you for accepting my friend request so I no longer have to be a “creeper”, LOL… LOVE this entry on TAPS. All is I can say is, so incredibly moving~probably one of the most beautiful things I HAVE EVER SEEN and I was honored to have been there.

Bad Behavior has blocked 345 access attempts in the last 7 days.