I know he’s just a cat

(Updated below.)

But he’s been my baby for 13 years. He was my baby before I had a baby. He’s my shadow and Josh’s best buddy.

George isn’t doing great. He’s lost a bunch of weight over the last few months. We did some bloodwork earlier in the week to rule out some things and tomorrow he’s going to be sedated so he can have an ultrasound and x-rays.

Fingers crossed we can figure this out and it’s an easy fix.

Update: George has kidney disease and possibly some issues with his liver, both common in aging cats. We’ll be treating with a renal friendly diet and, of all the strange things, Pepcid. It’s really hard to cut those teeny tiny pills into quarters. It’s even hard to shove a 1/4 of a pill into George’s mouth and make him swallow. He’s too smart for me to hide it in his food. Anyway, for now we’re just going to love, and pet, and snuggle him as long as we have him.

Comments

8 Responses to “I know he’s just a cat”

1. Mom on October 25th, 2012 9:50 pm

Our favorite cat is sick! Say it ain’t so! We are thinking of all of you and hoping for good news on George’s health. love, Mom

2. Becky Mochaface on October 25th, 2012 10:22 pm

Your cat is not just a cat. He’s a member of your family. Fingers crossed you get good news.

3. jo(e) on October 25th, 2012 10:23 pm

Aw, I hope it’s something simple and easy to take care of.

4. Trisha on October 26th, 2012 11:27 am

There is no such thing as “just a cat” or “just a dog” to true pet lovers. I know in my house, our pets are part of the family. When we lost one of our dogs last year, it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever gone through.

I will be keeping you and your cat in my thoughts with best wishes for a positive outcome.

5. Emily Guy Birken on October 29th, 2012 8:40 pm

I had my baby-before-my-baby/cat, a wonderful hellion by the name of Bonanza, for 11 years. Having a pet as an adult is a relationship unlike any other and it really does make your cat a member of the family. I miss Bonanza terribly, but I’m so glad I got to have the time with her that I did:

Best wishes for George!

6. Jen on October 30th, 2012 4:56 pm

Annette, I know EXACTLY what you are going through. We almost went the kitty dialysis route for Monty. We had almost a year with her after she was first diagnosed with her kidney disease. Good luck and snuggles to George!

7. Stimey on November 8th, 2012 11:00 am

Hey, I know I’m late, but I wanted to give you a little hug for you to pass onto George. My cat Izzy had the same thing and was able to stay healthy for a very long time with meds, including those tiny, tiny pills. I had to quarter even smaller pills at some point. It was ridiculous. But worth it for our little furry buddies.

8. Sarah on November 15th, 2012 11:40 am

For what it is worth – my cat is a horrible pill taker and is currently on an anti-depressant for behavioral issues. We discovered that the Pill Pockets by Greenies are miraculous. He will eat a pocket with a pill in it and beg for more.

Bad Behavior has blocked 468 access attempts in the last 7 days.