I ran for 9 minutes without stopping this morning. I’m going to go ahead and call today a win even though it’s not quite 8 am. It doesn’t matter how the rest of the day goes. My Fitbit and my Map my Run app both prove it.
Last summer you all know I was doing great, losing weight, and loving running. Then an Achilles heel thing happened, and the holidays happened, and a medication change happened, and winter weather happened, and work happened, and a very bad attitude happened. Mostly the latter.
I’m not in the same place I was, but I’m working on it, getting out there as often as I can. It sucks to feel like I’m pretty much starting over, again, but I almost forgot that the more you do it the better it is. Duh.
So this morning I did my 2 mile run/walk intervals, and part of that time I ran 9 minutes without stopping. I ran without gasping for air, without my legs burning, and without feeling like I’m being stabbed in the hips.
Although I may not be able to stand up (or walk, or OMG climb stairs) later, today is definitely a good day. It might even be good enough to get me through tomorrow too! I could sleep from now until Friday and still win. Resting on laurels and all. Maybe. Maybe not so much.
What’s going on with you guys? Good things, bad things? Vent if you need to!
So it’s the first week in January. That means we’re all blogging about trying to lose weight right? Yep, me too. If you were bored with all of my “exercise this” and “diet that” posts last year you might as well just go away now, because I’m starting it all over again.
Yeah, wicked boring, I know. But truly, writing about it helped me stay on track, accountable.
So my goal this year is not a particular number. Just for the number to be less than it is now. The goal is to eat right, and exercise as often as possible. That’s it. No tricks. That’s how I did it before and that’s what I will do again.
I started by going to the gym this morning. I also picked my food diary back up, and, you know, actually wrote in it.
ps. The Loser Moms are starting a second round of their online Biggest Loser contest if anyone wants to join us!
I haven’t talked much about trying to lose weight for a while, mostly because I haven’t lost any, for pretty obvious reasons! However, It’s been 8 weeks since I had my gallbladder surgery, and it’s time to get back at it. I’m healed and cleared to work out now.
My appetite is (unfortunately) normal, and I really do feel pretty good overall. Except. My stomach muscles feel so weak. And the weirdest thing is the numbness on the skin where the nerves were cut. Poke me in the belly pooch and I don’t feel a darn thing. I can feel the muscles deep down when I work out though, just not on the surface. It’s so strange!
Anyway, The last couple of times I went for a walk I got tired very quickly and my abs really felt it. And that was just walking. I haven’t even tried anything else. I haven’t really felt like doing it – like so many other times in my life. It’s too hot. I have too much work to do. It’s too hard to find time when I have Josh at home. I’m too tired.
I need my motivation back! I need to get that feeling back that I had in February and March. I was writing down every bite of food, drinking lots of water, exercising almost every day! I need to start all over again. (This time 34 pounds lighter though!) I know I can, I just have to begin.
My local biggest loser club has its final summer weigh in on Sunday, and hopefully we’re starting over again for the fall months. I don’t think there’s much chance I won for the last few months, but I know I have a shot at the fall. Any local peeps want to join us? Let me know!
I know what you’re thinking, darn I wish I lived there so I can do it too! Right? Right! Well, in a way you can! The Loser Moms Sarah and Devra are doing their own Biggest Loser online competition which I am also joining! Crazy? Yes. Motivated? Also yes! So. Ten bucks, six weeks, starting Sept. 1st! Money motivator! WHO’S IN????
I know a lot of you were on a weight loss journey in the spring too. How are you all doing? Did the summer stall you out like me or are you still going strong? What’s your motivation?
The only way I can do this crazy jumble of a post is to resort to my faithful bullets:
- Since the last time I reported my weight loss, at the end of April, I’ve lost only 2 more pounds. All I can say is, it’s a loss, not a gain. Fffffffftttt. I’m at 27 total. But I’m okay with that!
- No, I didn’t win my local Biggest Loser competition. I came in 3rd. But I’m not bitter. No not me.
- 3rd is better than 2nd really. I don’t know why. I hate coming in 2nd.
- 3rd out of 13 is actually quite good. Yes, I am justifying.
- I really am very very happy for the winner, she is a good friend and she totally deserved it.
- So we started over. The last weigh-in was also the first weigh-in for the summer months. Apparently I am a glutton for punishment.
- I’m also a glutton for reward – I finally, finally got a new phone with a keyboard. It was a must before BlogHer, and I got this one free (refurbished) with our new cell plan. So to anyone who’s ever sent me a text – I can text you back now! Yay!
- I’m still running. But only every other day, because I don’t want to hurt myself.
- I need new running sneakers. Any suggestions?
- Work is kicking my butt right now, hence light posting.
- I absolutely hate one of the projects I’m working on, but I can’t turn down the work. Not only can I use the money but there is some small fear that if I turn down my client I won’t get any more offers. Plus I hate to let anyone down when I know they need the help. See? Glutton for punishment.
- Yes, I am a freelancer with only one client. Not too smart, I know.
- I cannot wait for school to be done. Seriously. This half day thing is way old. I’d rather have Josh with me all day than have to break up the day to go pick him up.
- He does not want school to end. Ever. Crazy.
- Hubby is going away for another whole week next week. That will either mean I will post every day in order to whine, or I won’t post at all because I will have gone insane.
- While he’s gone though, I get to go to the Boston-area BlogHers meetup on June 13. Thanks to Susan for having it at her house so kids are welcome too and I can bring Josh with me, woohoo!
- Anyone else going? You don’t need an invite, just join the group and rsvp! If anyone from Southern NH needs a ride I can comfortably fit 2 more (or 3 if you’re tiny!) in my car.
- Now I just have to figure out what to wear to it, cause most of my clothes are too big. Shopping anyone?
I’ve had a crazy, busy, but mostly good week, and the weekend is about to get even better.
I get to be alone! I feel terrible saying that, but seriously, I know you all get it. Sometimes you just need to be alone.
In about an hour I’m heading out to bring Josh to my MIL for the long weekend. She loves to take him and do lots of stuff with him. I imagine the beach will be involved, as will something to do with horses, as always. We get him back on Monday. That means I get to sleep, completely soundlessly, for three whole nights. Don’t hate me!
So I did go running again yesterday, and it was hard but it still felt great. My calves were burning, but my lungs weren’t. I think that’s progress! I’m going every other day right now, just until my body gets more used to it.
I’m going to do my first 5k on July 4!! My friend Nicole and I are going to do it as a practice one. We’ll walk as needed – for both of us! She broke her toes a few weeks ago so it will slow her down enough for me to keep up. 😉 Heh.
Here’s the best thing – the running has helped me break through my plateau – I lost about 4 more pounds! Woo-freaking-hoo!!! The combination of that and going back to writing in my food journal and watching my calories again has made a huge difference. I really need to remember that the next time I hit a wall.
So my plans for the weekend are to run/walk, clean the house, nap, garden, shop (alone! OMG I can try things on!), watch whatever I want to on TV, maybe hit some yard sales, and go see Star Trek.
What are you doing with your long holiday weekend?
Yesterday wasn’t a fluke. I managed the run/walk in 45 minutes again just now. I actually ran a bit more than yesterday, but I was a bit ~ahem~ sore so going fast was impossible. Heh. It was more of light jog. But still, I did it.
I can’t even tell you how much I appreciated all of your comments yesterday. The support and encouragement I get from you all means everything to me.
I think I need to go throw up now.
I probably just need a tylenol. Oy.
Okay, I’m going to tell you all something that isn’t going to seem like a bit deal to most, but is a very big deal to me.
I went for my usual 2.5 mile walk this morning and somehow I was motivated to do a few running intervals. (Okay, this might have motivated me a bit – go read it!) I do that once in a while but frankly running has never ever been my thing. Today it didn’t seem quite so…hard. I ended up running a bit more than I walked.
That loop typically takes me 65 minutes when I walk it. Today it took me exactly 45 minutes. I took 20 minutes off my time!
Here’s another good thing, I took 5700 steps so far today, and of those it counted 5550 of them as aerobic. Woot! So my whole “walk” today was fast enough to be aerobic – not easy to do!
BTW, I finally got my pedometer to count closer to correct. Last time I took the same route it counted 3800 steps and only 850 were aerobic! (Generally 1 mile = 2000 steps, but my legs are short so I think I take a few more per mile.)
I may be a sweaty mess, and I’m not sure which is going to explode first – my heart or my lungs (!), but I’m happy. Like I said, it may not seem like much to some, especially if you’re already a runner, but it’s a milestone for me.
Do you know what thoughts were in my head when I was running? I actually considered training to run a 5k. I can’t stop thinking about it even now. Huh. Imagine that.