I don’t know what I’m doing here anymore. I pretty much just do bullet posts and photo posts and I’m boring myself. I can’t even imagine how bored you must be. Anyway! Today is Friday so that means bullets. You’re so welcome.
- I’m working again! Hoo-freaking-ray! I have a small project I’ve already started and a few big ones lined up to work on all winter. Phew. The in-between contract times can be scary so it’s good to know I’ve got enough work to keep me here at home.
- I suspected work would pick up right before Christmas (again) so I am completely DONE with all of my Christmas prep. I’ve bought and wrapped everything, including stocking stuffers. All of my cards are done, and the house is as decorated as it’s going to get. I’ve NEVER EVER been done this early before. Don’t hate me.
- It’s not like I did all that much anyway. Really, don’t hate me. Go read my philosophy on Christmas craziness. I’m here to talk you down.
- I already cooked my Christmas ham.
- I only bought it because it was on sale. We really do have lasagna for Christmas dinner every year. Breaking traditions since 2001!
- It was the best ham I ever made. (Relatively speaking. I’m not a ham snob so I’m sure there are GREAT hams out there but I can’t afford them.)
- You know how spiral hams kinda get all dried out so you gob on lots of sugary glaze? Blech. That does NOT make for good leftovers.
- We were supposed to go to Maine last weekend to visit family but you know Maine and it’s stupid freezing rain, and sleet, and black ice, and well, not so much with the traveling.
- Not planning to be home meant we had no groceries in the house. Except a ham.
- I put that sucker in a turkey size oven bag and poured a whole lot of ginger ale over it and stuck it in the oven. The bag kept it from drying out and the ginger ale toned down the saltiness. Hello fabulousness. I think any soda would work well, sprite, root beer, etc. BUT NOT DIET SODA. That would be bad.
- We’ve ham leftovers all week and we haven’t gotten sick of it yet. It’s a miracle.
- Ham, ham, ham, ham. Ham, ham, ham, ham. HAM.
- Ham salad with tons of vinegar and a smidge of mayo.
- Pea soup with ham. Damon normally hates pea soup. Damon loves MY pea soup. If you want a great pea soup recipe let me know.
- Pea soup is not photogenic. Like at all. I tried.
- I’m making chicken today. Because I might actually be sick of ham, a little bit.
I’m curious, what do you do for Christmas dinner? Do you go all out like Thanksgiving or do you go the simple route with take-out? We have lasagna because it’s one of the few meals Damon likes to make so I get to do absolutely nothing!
It’s been a long time since I did a Friday bullets, but here I am again!
- Damon had foot surgery on Wednesday to remove bone spurs on his big toe joint. So that’s been fun. He’s fine now, just not particularly mobile.
- In related news, I have run up and down the stairs, oh, about 45 times since Wednesday night carrying various food, drinks, and ice packs. And more ice packs.
- But! As he said, “I could come downstairs and lay on the couch?” Um. NO. I’m gonna need my alone time/DVR breaks today, thankyouverymuch. And lots of coffee.
- The only one happy about Damon having to lay/sit/not move in this house is George. He is taking full advantage of this opportunity.
- George is an armpit snuggler. Not even kidding. (And he’s feeling much, much better btw.)
- We had to go into Boston for the surgery. I drove in at rush hour, and I drove out at rush hour. Holy hell. Do people really do that every day?? On purpose?! If you do that, I feel for you, I really do. I think I’m still having an anxiety attack over it.
- Speaking of work. I haven’t had a contract job since July. My summer of fun is now my fall of wait and see. Not worried. Just waiting and bored. You would think I would be bored enough that my house would be really clean. But alas.
- It’s time to declutter again. I look around and see piles of sneakers and books and sweatshirts and other general stupid crap and it’s annoying me. I’m having trouble identifying things I can get rid of this time around though. I decluttered so much last time that I feel like I need everything we have right now, but I know that can’t possibly be true.
- Since I’m hoping for inspiration, I’ve joined Cass in her 30 days of Subtraction Project and so far I love it. I know have only pens that work and none that don’t. 😉 I think you can still join in if you feel the need to lighten your mind and your space.
- I’m crocheting again. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt like doing it but I have a large project that I started over a year ago that I picked up again and I’m really enjoying it. I’ll have to wait to show it to you until it’s finished and sent off to the person it’s meant for though.
- It’s very hard not to go out and buy more YARN. I love yarn. I got rid of a ton of yarn and I still have a ton of yarn and I CANNOT go buy more yarn. The end. What? We all have our addictions man. At least I own up to mine.
- Oh addictions. Okay fine! My other one is chips and dip. I have been on the wagon for seven months. I had one slip in August. Humph.
- I’m stuck at 42-43 pounds down. Yeah, that’s good, I’m not knocking it. I lost more than my age this year! Woohoo! But oh so stuck for the last few weeks.
- I’m not sure running is for me but I’m thinking about starting my C25K app over again just to be sure. Anyone with me?
- What’s up with you today? Feel free to whine in comments if you need to get something out. I’m good at commiseration.
ps. I don’t have a pan big enough for my stupid turkey. I DECLUTTERED it 2 years ago. Arghh.
It’s been that kind of week.
- Josh is on his second day home sick from school. Mostly cause of the pinkeye, but the coughing up a lung doesn’t help either. Neither does the massive amounts of snot.
- He’s missing picture day at school. He still get his picture taken later, but he won’t be in his class picture. Bummer.
- The eyedrops, oh, the @*$&% eyedrops. Every 2 hours.
- I’ve been to Target twice in three days and last night I realized we need more kid cold medicine.
- I can’t go back there again with a sick kid, I just can’t. Yesterday’s trip cost me a $35 Lego set while we waited for his eyedrop prescription to be ready. I just can’t say no to him when he’s this miserable.
- He’s not sick enough to just lie in bed and read a book though. He wants to do crafts! He must paint or die! And puzzles! All. Over. The. Place!
- I’m out of my coffee. The horror! I need my coffee. Especially today.
- How bad would it be to take my pestilential kid to the coffee shop?
- I have a headache.
- I’m desperately trying not to get sick too. I think I need a haz-mat suit. Clean up on aisle eye 7 2.
- I can’t tell if the headache is from lack of coffee or imminent illness.
- I have company coming tomorrow. I should probably warn them about the pinkeye, huh?
- Why isn’t it Friday yet? I need it to be Friday.
It’s been that kind of week. And it’s snot over yet.
The only way I can do this crazy jumble of a post is to resort to my faithful bullets:
- Since the last time I reported my weight loss, at the end of April, I’ve lost only 2 more pounds. All I can say is, it’s a loss, not a gain. Fffffffftttt. I’m at 27 total. But I’m okay with that!
- No, I didn’t win my local Biggest Loser competition. I came in 3rd. But I’m not bitter. No not me.
- 3rd is better than 2nd really. I don’t know why. I hate coming in 2nd.
- 3rd out of 13 is actually quite good. Yes, I am justifying.
- I really am very very happy for the winner, she is a good friend and she totally deserved it.
- So we started over. The last weigh-in was also the first weigh-in for the summer months. Apparently I am a glutton for punishment.
- I’m also a glutton for reward – I finally, finally got a new phone with a keyboard. It was a must before BlogHer, and I got this one free (refurbished) with our new cell plan. So to anyone who’s ever sent me a text – I can text you back now! Yay!
- I’m still running. But only every other day, because I don’t want to hurt myself.
- I need new running sneakers. Any suggestions?
- Work is kicking my butt right now, hence light posting.
- I absolutely hate one of the projects I’m working on, but I can’t turn down the work. Not only can I use the money but there is some small fear that if I turn down my client I won’t get any more offers. Plus I hate to let anyone down when I know they need the help. See? Glutton for punishment.
- Yes, I am a freelancer with only one client. Not too smart, I know.
- I cannot wait for school to be done. Seriously. This half day thing is way old. I’d rather have Josh with me all day than have to break up the day to go pick him up.
- He does not want school to end. Ever. Crazy.
- Hubby is going away for another whole week next week. That will either mean I will post every day in order to whine, or I won’t post at all because I will have gone insane.
- While he’s gone though, I get to go to the Boston-area BlogHers meetup on June 13. Thanks to Susan for having it at her house so kids are welcome too and I can bring Josh with me, woohoo!
- Anyone else going? You don’t need an invite, just join the group and rsvp! If anyone from Southern NH needs a ride I can comfortably fit 2 more (or 3 if you’re tiny!) in my car.
- Now I just have to figure out what to wear to it, cause most of my clothes are too big. Shopping anyone?
Apparently I’m a slacker, a blog slacker that is. The rest of my life is going at break neck pace. This calls for bullets!
- I had my last nutrition class last night, this one on the glycemic index. There’s so much to learn! This was like no other class I’ve ever had, and it’s definitely changed my perspective on food.
- The good news is I’ve lost 9 pounds, 9! since January 1st. Woot! Even with my back problems this month I was very focused, and exercised as much as my PT allowed.
- I also wrote down every single bite of food that went into my mouth. I keep a little notebook nearby and the item and calories of everything.
- My back is considerably better, and I’ve been released from PT. I can do almost everything I want to now, except, heh, shovel snow. Sorry honey!
- No, I am not completely consumed with food intake and exercising – it just seems that way. I’m am talking about it because I’m still on a learning curve!
- Mostly my time has been spent working, and meeting some tight deadlines.
- And another deadline is looming like a little black cloud shooting lightning bolts into my brain.
- Next week is my kid’s school vacation. But I don’t have vacation!!! Woe is me.
- He and I are going to spend the weekend at my parent’s house. We haven’t been there since Thanksgiving. I’ll probably be spending my evenings, um, working.
- But then, on Sunday my MIL is coming to my parent’s house, and picking up my kid and taking him away for THREE. WHOLE. DAYS. No more woe is me!
- THREE. WHOLE. DAYS!!!
- I pick him back up on Wednesday afternoon. Don’t hate me because you’re jealous. 😉
- I would be jealous if I read this on someone else’s blog.
- DH and I might even be able to have a date! Like a movie! I’ve almost forgotten what it’s like to see a movie!
- No dinner out though. We’re both far happier when I cook. Especially when he cleans up. Well, that may just be me that gets happy over someone else cleaning my kitchen.
- 3 days! Squee!
- I’ll shut up now.
Filed Under family, the husband, the mil, work Tagged bullets, the boy, the husband, the mil, work
Things I’m wondering lately.
- Glasses or contacts? Or continue to have both even though my insurance doesn’t cover either so I have to buy them myself?
- How do I manage to forget either my list, my coupons, or my reusable bags – every time I go to the grocery store? And how sometimes I forget all of the above.
- Why do posts with cat pictures get the most hits and comments, and should I just give in to that and start a cat blog?
- Why can’t dinner cook itself?
- For that matter, why can’t the toilets clean themselves?
- Why do I always go off topic?
So the real the question is…
Huh. To heck with glasses or not, perhaps a better choice would have been make-up! Or better lighting. Or a good background. Or focusing. Or, ya know, make-up.
ps. Forgive the squinting, I just chopped up onions.
pps. I really want to know if I should start a cat blog too!
I don’t know where to even start with the jumbled mess in my head so you’re getting bullets…
- Christmas was wonderful and I got not one, but TWO new soup pots! A 6-qt and an 8qt! Hurray, I can make soup again!
- Christmas isn’t really over for us though, we have some traveling to do this weekend if the weather holds. That means I still can’t tell you about my handmade gifts. By the time I can, I won’t want to anymore. And none of you will care anymore either.
- My very favorite present was from a real life friend who understands the blogging – she gave me a “piggy bank” for saving for BlogHer Chicago – and it was full of all her spare cash from the last few weeks. Could you think of a more thoughtful gift for a poor blogger? I kinda cried. Seriously.
- I’ve been in a blogging funk (could ya tell?!) but the worst kind of posts are the ones where people tell you they have blogger block and they’re taking a break. I resolve never to do that.
- I hate resolutions. I always break them in the first week. No New Years Resolutions for me. Yeah. Right.
- The boy thinks he’s going to be able to stay up until midnight tomorrow. Ha! We’ve made him promise to take a nap the next day if he actually does. Mostly for my sanity.
- Did you know school vacation week is no fun when you work at home and never actually get a vacation? It’s really just nerve-wracking trying to keep him busy all day and still get something done.
- We spend a lot of time laying on the floor coloring in coloring books. At least we’ve moved on from Scooby-Doo to Spiderman. It was depressing only getting to use brown crayons.
- That’s really pathetic.
- This post is pathetic.
- I give up.
I might as well just keep this bullet theme going today too, but let’s be random shall we?
- I just wasted half my morning on Facebook joining a bunch of blog networks. Do you have a blog network too? Are we even friends yet?? I’m embarrassed to admit I don’t have very many Facebook friends. I haven’t exactly tried very hard, and I mostly friend other bloggers. So are you gonna friend me or what? 😉
- It freaks me out a little to have a lot of people from my real life and my past checking out my blog! I guess I need to get over that cause people are starting to find it, especially through Facebook. No it’s not a secret, but I haven’t shouted it from the rooftops either.
- I made a really awesome meal last night. Ribs. OMG. They were so good! Unfortunately, DH didn’t like them. ~Sigh~ Anyway, if you like sweet style ribs, dump a half a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce and a cup of orange juice on them, bake at 300 for 2 hours and you’ll fantastic, (so says I!) juicy, easy ribs. You’re welcome!
- Speaking of cooking. My kitchen is now a disaster from actually making a real meal. Where are the cleaning fairies when you need them??
- Oh, crap. I just remembered. I’m supposed to make something for a charity bake sale tomorrow morning. I have stuff for cookies, but that’s so boring. Oy. And I have to clean the kitchen before I can bake. Double crap.
- We also have company coming for lunch on Sunday – that’s a good thing – but it also means – well you know – the cleaning thing. Blech.
- I’ve discovered something about standing at the bus stop on freezing cold mornings, (like every day lately) it’s awful to do it when your hair is wet. I’ve always been a “shower in the am” person, but it looks like I’m gonna have to switch to the evenings or I’m going to die of pneumonia!
- The boy is feeling much better, and we all slept through the night last night. Yay!
- Did you notice the segues are only in my head? You just have to figure out the transitions for yourselves. heh. good luck.
- I’m always looking for great blog posts to feature on Blog Nosh Magazine. Any subject will do if the writing is really good! I can always pass it to another editor if it fits better in a different category than what I work on. (House and Home, Entertainment, and Fiction and Poetry are mine, but there are sooo many categories!) Don’t be shy! Email me – catnip35 at gmail dot com with links to your favorite archived posts.
Okay, I’ve now wasted even more time. Gotta get something accomplished. See ya tomorrow. 🙂
Monday is always a good day for bullets. There are too many random thoughts in my head today for one coherent post!
- I had a great weekend, and I did what I wanted, when I wanted. If that isn’t great, I don’t know what is anymore!
- On Saturday I mostly puttered about and watched whatever movies were on tv. Castaway still makes me cry every time I see it!
- I left the house as little as possible – it was wonderful not to have to run any errands. Well, not that I didn’t have to, I just didn’t do any!
- I baked bread! It’s the first time I did it where I was even vaguely successful. I’m trying to perfect a half white-half wheat bread. I didn’t realize the wheat flour would cause it to rise less than with white so it was a little dense. It was also a little overcooked – I forgot my oven tends to run hot! But it’s still yummy, toasted with a little peanut butter. I’ll do better next time.
- On Sunday I cleaned our hazardous waste dump of a family room and rearranged the furniture. Again. It’s a very looong room and the layout made it seem more so. The new way is cozier, but will take some getting used to.
- I finished two Christmas presents, and started another. My homemade holidays are kicking off to a great start. I just need to keep at it! I have a whole post about what I’m doing in the works for those of you interested in crafting. And for the rest of you? Well tough! I’m lacking in things to write about, so crafting it will be!
- The boy has a bit of a cold. I thought I was getting one too, but I killed it off with lots of Airborne. I’m telling you, that stuff really works! I haven’t had a full blown cold in at least 6 months. Knock on wood.
- BlogHer 09 conference date and location was announced today. I need to start saving my pennies. And my nickels, and dimes, and quarters if I have any hope of going! Anyone else thinking about it? If you’ve been before, I need to know – how do you handle finding a compatible roommate?
Huh. I’m supposed to post something, anything, aren’t I?
Well then random bullets it is!
- I’m on the hunt for an impossibly perfect picture today. Problem is, I’ve said things are impossible before than managed to pull it off, so my editor no longer believes me when I say something is impossible. Crud.
- I think I’ve decided that most everyone I’m giving gifts to this year is getting something handmade. I won’t be able to post pictures though – because they’re all reading this!
- Now I have to actually make some stuff. Hmmm. Goodbye evenings.
- I have freakishly strong fingernails. They hardly ever break. Currently they are freakishly long and I’m having trouble typing.
- A friend picked up my kid from school on the spur of the moment today. She called me half an hour before I had to leave so I didn’t have to go out. It’s made my day feel very weird.
- Hence, I’ve gotten more done today than I did all last week.
- Okay, that’s not really true but it sounded good!
- It was just more than I got done all weekend.
- I spent all day Saturday with stomach pains and chills.
- I spent all day Sunday with dizzy spells and vomit.
- Don’t even say it. It was clearly a bug of some sort. NOT what you’re thinking. Don’t ever ever think that.
- It wasn’t the Halloween candy either – I didn’t get to enjoy any of it.
- DH and the boy finished their first real 5k together yesterday. In 55 minutes. How cute!
- I was supposed to go, but, you know, the vomit.
- No, I wasn’t faking to get out of it!
- My TIVO currently only has the boy’s shows on it, so I’m all alone and I’m forced to watch live TV. Oh, how I hate commercials.
- And there’s nothing on but election talk. Oh, how I hate politics.
- There’s nothing on my TIVO cause I watched it all yesterday while I laid on the couch all day. I’m currently obsessed with West Wing reruns. Ironic isn’t it? Considering that I loathe politics and all.
- Sam Seaborn. That is all.
- I seriously cannot wait for tomorrow to be over.
- I know who I’m voting for but I’m not telling you. Ha!
- I grew up with the understanding that voting is a private, personal thing. And I still feel that way. At least for me. I harbor no ill will toward those who want to talk about it.
- There’s no school tomorrow so I’ll be taking the boy with me when I go vote. I hope the lines aren’t too long!
- Don’t get me wrong, he’s not naughty, he’s just excited to go. Wicked freaking excited.
- SO AM I.
- Also ironic, considering that I loathe politics and all.
- It’s not really politics I hate, it’s the politics of politics.
- Hey, don’t forget to vote!
- No matter who you vote for. 🙂
I have a very strange stream of consciousness. I do know that about myself. I think you all already knew that too. See ya tomorrow!