I don’t know what I’m doing here anymore. I pretty much just do bullet posts and photo posts and I’m boring myself. I can’t even imagine how bored you must be. Anyway! Today is Friday so that means bullets. You’re so welcome.
- I’m working again! Hoo-freaking-ray! I have a small project I’ve already started and a few big ones lined up to work on all winter. Phew. The in-between contract times can be scary so it’s good to know I’ve got enough work to keep me here at home.
- I suspected work would pick up right before Christmas (again) so I am completely DONE with all of my Christmas prep. I’ve bought and wrapped everything, including stocking stuffers. All of my cards are done, and the house is as decorated as it’s going to get. I’ve NEVER EVER been done this early before. Don’t hate me.
- It’s not like I did all that much anyway. Really, don’t hate me. Go read my philosophy on Christmas craziness. I’m here to talk you down.
- I already cooked my Christmas ham.
- I only bought it because it was on sale. We really do have lasagna for Christmas dinner every year. Breaking traditions since 2001!
- It was the best ham I ever made. (Relatively speaking. I’m not a ham snob so I’m sure there are GREAT hams out there but I can’t afford them.)
- You know how spiral hams kinda get all dried out so you gob on lots of sugary glaze? Blech. That does NOT make for good leftovers.
- We were supposed to go to Maine last weekend to visit family but you know Maine and it’s stupid freezing rain, and sleet, and black ice, and well, not so much with the traveling.
- Not planning to be home meant we had no groceries in the house. Except a ham.
- I put that sucker in a turkey size oven bag and poured a whole lot of ginger ale over it and stuck it in the oven. The bag kept it from drying out and the ginger ale toned down the saltiness. Hello fabulousness. I think any soda would work well, sprite, root beer, etc. BUT NOT DIET SODA. That would be bad.
- We’ve ham leftovers all week and we haven’t gotten sick of it yet. It’s a miracle.
- Ham, ham, ham, ham. Ham, ham, ham, ham. HAM.
- Ham salad with tons of vinegar and a smidge of mayo.
- Pea soup with ham. Damon normally hates pea soup. Damon loves MY pea soup. If you want a great pea soup recipe let me know.
- Pea soup is not photogenic. Like at all. I tried.
- I’m making chicken today. Because I might actually be sick of ham, a little bit.
I’m curious, what do you do for Christmas dinner? Do you go all out like Thanksgiving or do you go the simple route with take-out? We have lasagna because it’s one of the few meals Damon likes to make so I get to do absolutely nothing!
It’s been a long time since I did a Friday bullets, but here I am again!
- Damon had foot surgery on Wednesday to remove bone spurs on his big toe joint. So that’s been fun. He’s fine now, just not particularly mobile.
- In related news, I have run up and down the stairs, oh, about 45 times since Wednesday night carrying various food, drinks, and ice packs. And more ice packs.
- But! As he said, “I could come downstairs and lay on the couch?” Um. NO. I’m gonna need my alone time/DVR breaks today, thankyouverymuch. And lots of coffee.
- The only one happy about Damon having to lay/sit/not move in this house is George. He is taking full advantage of this opportunity.
- George is an armpit snuggler. Not even kidding. (And he’s feeling much, much better btw.)
- We had to go into Boston for the surgery. I drove in at rush hour, and I drove out at rush hour. Holy hell. Do people really do that every day?? On purpose?! If you do that, I feel for you, I really do. I think I’m still having an anxiety attack over it.
- Speaking of work. I haven’t had a contract job since July. My summer of fun is now my fall of wait and see. Not worried. Just waiting and bored. You would think I would be bored enough that my house would be really clean. But alas.
- It’s time to declutter again. I look around and see piles of sneakers and books and sweatshirts and other general stupid crap and it’s annoying me. I’m having trouble identifying things I can get rid of this time around though. I decluttered so much last time that I feel like I need everything we have right now, but I know that can’t possibly be true.
- Since I’m hoping for inspiration, I’ve joined Cass in her 30 days of Subtraction Project and so far I love it. I know have only pens that work and none that don’t. 😉 I think you can still join in if you feel the need to lighten your mind and your space.
- I’m crocheting again. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt like doing it but I have a large project that I started over a year ago that I picked up again and I’m really enjoying it. I’ll have to wait to show it to you until it’s finished and sent off to the person it’s meant for though.
- It’s very hard not to go out and buy more YARN. I love yarn. I got rid of a ton of yarn and I still have a ton of yarn and I CANNOT go buy more yarn. The end. What? We all have our addictions man. At least I own up to mine.
- Oh addictions. Okay fine! My other one is chips and dip. I have been on the wagon for seven months. I had one slip in August. Humph.
- I’m stuck at 42-43 pounds down. Yeah, that’s good, I’m not knocking it. I lost more than my age this year! Woohoo! But oh so stuck for the last few weeks.
- I’m not sure running is for me but I’m thinking about starting my C25K app over again just to be sure. Anyone with me?
- What’s up with you today? Feel free to whine in comments if you need to get something out. I’m good at commiseration.
ps. I don’t have a pan big enough for my stupid turkey. I DECLUTTERED it 2 years ago. Arghh.
My brain is mush. I just can’t think of anything interesting to write about.
I had wonderful company (my friend Teresa while her husband Bill is in Ethiopia!) last weekend but that would be a very long story. I have more company (one of my sisters – yay!) coming this weekend but that story hasn’t happened yet. I have an aunt who is very sick but that’s not my story to tell.
I held a day-old baby on Monday but I had to give her back. 😉 I have weigh-in coming this Sunday but I don’t think I’ve lost a pound this month. Josh is going to start t-ball tomorrow so the time suck begins again. I tried to go without wheat for a week, and I keep forgetting.
The rain is keeping me from gardening. Work is slow this week, although I’m sure it will get busy just as soon as my sister arrives. I’m not entertained by anything on tv. Twitter is irritating me – too many retweets, celebrities, and promotions, blech. Whatever happened to original thought and conversation?
I’m more than a little cranky. And worried. Very tired. Not to mention restless, boring, and repetitive. And perhaps whiny? Geez, I really need to get over myself. And I need to find my funny. It seems to have run away from home.
Yeah. I’m all over the freaking place. Give me something to write about would you? An idea, a question, anything you want to know about me? Help. I need to blog through the block.
Filed Under blogging Tagged blogging about blogging, inner workings of my brain, life, random
Yeah, yeah, if you’re a Facebook friend you’ve already seen this…but I did all that work to come up with these I figured I might as well use it twice!
This is is the 25 random things meme that’s going around like the plague. I was tagged four times before I realized I was just going to have to do it and get it over with.
Forgive me if you’ve heard any of these before.
1. I’m the youngest of 7 kids. Contrary to popular belief, this does not make me spoiled. My older siblings may beg to differ.
2. My kid is so much like me it’s scary. He looks like me, he talks like me, and he’s sarcastic, just like me. God help me.
3. I’ve been married for coming up on 14 years. It still feels like yesterday.
4. Pregnancy was the worst experience of my life. Motherhood is the best.
5. My cat was my first baby. Cat’s are NOT good practice for a real baby. Although he does follow me around all day. And he wakes me up at 5:30 in the morning most days. And he’s trying to lay on my computer while I type.
6. I’m a contract photo editor. I find the perfect pictures for book manuscripts, mostly science books for children. I love my job, and I have the best client in the world.
7. I work far more than most people realize. Just because I do it at home, doesn’t mean I’m not working!
8. I was almost an electrical engineer. Until I realized I hated math. Then I thought about being a lawyer, but I’m too nice. So I got a degree in US History. That was a dumb idea.
9. Sometimes I snort when I laugh. I can’t help it. My kid is practicing so he laugh like me too.
10. I’m obsessed with the weather. If I could do it all over again I’d be a storm chaser.
11. I love to cook, and I’m pretty damn good at it.
12. I lived in Virginia for 7 years. I loved it there but I love being in New Hampshire more. Except for the snow. When you live away you forget about the snow.
13. My all time favorite TV show is Stargate SG1, and I still haven’t forgiven the SciFi channel for canceling it.
14. I love gardening but I’m pretty terrible at it, and by mid-summer I tend to forget about the garden. I think I just love the idea of gardening. This year I’m sticking to potted plants.
15. I hate to be hot. I keep my house around 63 in the winter. Wear something warm if you come visit me!
16. My favorite film genre is disaster movies. The worse the better. Top of the list is Twister and Dante’s Peak!
17. The best way to interact with me on FB is to start a Scrabble game with me. I am addicted.
18. I am noticeably, but not quite completely, tone deaf.
19. Five years ago I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Recently I was told I was probably misdiagnosed. That pissed me off and I’m ignoring the whole thing.
20. I have a talent for making wheel thrown pottery, but haven’t had a chance to do it in a very long time. I compensate by crocheting, but it’s not quite the same.
21. I almost always cut my own hair, because every stylist I’ve ever been to has tried unsuccessfully to blow it out straight even though I tell them I hate that. It’s like a challenge to them, so I gave up. I cut it better anyway.
22. Aspartame (NutraSweet) gives me migraines. It took me years of suffering to figure that out. I haven’t had a migraine in almost 10 years now.
23. I’m becoming a pretty good photographer. But I’ll always be better at editing than shooting.
24. I ~still~ wear black almost everyday. It’s a habit I just can’t break and don’t really care to anymore!
25. I love my friends, and I don’t forget any of them, even if we haven’t talked in a long time!
And the one thing I didn’t say but will add here just for my bloggy friends: I have met more great people through this blog than I can even believe, and I appreciate you all as much as any of my other friends! xoxo
If you know me in real life this statement is going to shock you: I have run out of things to say.
No joke. I’ve said it all before. Too much work to do. House is a mess. Holidays are coming. I never even showered today. I did brush my teeth though – I swear.
In lieu of a real post, I give you a boy’s strange view of the world. Here are a selection of images I found filling up my camera today:
Bat Hound. When you’re 5, there’s nothing more important that one’s toys. Especially toys you just found at a resale shop for $1.
That is some kind of scary! I think that was Sunday am news that DH was watching while I slept in. On top of the tv is a giant balsa wood dragonfly! We might have clutter – but at least it’s cool clutter!
He doesn’t quite have a steady hand yet! But the blur is a cool effect on his velvet art butterflies. 😉
And Legos. Lots and lot of pictures of Legos. Hey all you moms of little boys who will eventually get into Legos. Take my heed and get one of these long flat bins for them. The kids won’t need to dump the bin in order to find pieces and there won’t be quite some much to pick up at the end of the day week!
So you bored yet?
Yeah. Me too.
I can’t gather all my thoughts into one coherent post so it’s bullet time again!
- Mmmmm. leftover pizza.
- Congratulations to AndreAnna! Such a cute baby boy! It’s okay if you go see – I’ll still be here when you get back.
- Went to the beach with Kristen and all the kids yesterday. Stayed there over 5 hours. Hence the pizza for dinner. You really must go the photo of her sunning herself on the sand!
- Am sunburned in all the places that I missed putting on the sunscreen. The backs of my knees, my nose, and all around the edges of my suit. I wish the spray kind of sunscreen would start out white and dry clear, so you know where you’ve hit. Are you listening Coppertone??
- I suddenly have all these followers on twitter, and it’s making me shy. I’m guessing it’s because of Blog Nosh, but seriously, I can no longer think of anything to say that doesn’t make me sound like doofus. Now we all know how to shut me up – start paying attention to me! Yikes!
- Did I mention I’m merging my online life and my reality? I actually put my blog on my facebook account so everyone in real life can come read Catnip. So if you’re on facebook – come friend me – so I can be shy there too!
- If you already came over from facebook, and you know me, it’s time to delurk!
- Hello, my name is Annette. As if you didn’t know that already. But I’ve “branded” myself Catnip – so I’m keeping it for the commenting.
- New ChapterBytes post up! Chapter 8 of Foodie written by Christy! She was very nervous, but she shouldn’t have been – she rocked it! Go give her a little love. 🙂
- I thought today was gonna bite – no plans, and lots of chores. Instead I got an email offering me a new contract job to photo edit a history book. Woo – freaking – hoo!!
- I still have chores though. I’d rather blog.
- Extra job = maybe I’ll be able to pay the propane bill this winter after all.
- I’ve been researching fireplace inserts. Trying to reduce my dependence on foreign oil. All so expensive. Sigh. Any recommendations?
- It’s taking me forever to write this because I’m also watching the boy splash around in his kiddie pool. So cute.
- I don’t know how to stop. Every time I hit enter it brings up another bullet and I feel like I should fill it up.
- This is getting ridiculous.
- I’m gonna go surf Alltop now. While I avoid the laundry.
Yeah, whatever. I know some of you like bullet posts! So, here are all the reasons why I might be blogging weirdly (either not at all or lots extra!) this week.
- The boy is going to the MIL’s house for *gasp* four nights this week. Starting tomorrow. I can’t even believe it.
- DH and I are actually going to get to spend some time together, including belatedly celebrating our anniversary on Thursday. We might even go to a movie.
- I’m going to a cousin’s wedding this weekend. I got a hotel room for me and my two sisters. Yay! We’re gonna leave our hubbys at home and visit with our cousins all weekend!
- I have to finish making said cousin’s present. Oops.
- I have to find something to wear to said event. Oops.
- I have to finish up a project for work so I can actually invoice for it. It’s kinda nice to get a check once in awhile.
- I’m going to be working on an artsy crafty thing while the boy is away, stocking up in order to possibly open my own online store. This is the same kind of item I making for the wedding present. I promise to reveal it soon!
- I have to decide if said online store will be an offshoot of my own site, or if I will create an Etsy shop. Any advice from those of you with an Etsy shop is encouraged!
- I joined Goodreads and I’m totally addicted! If you’re into books you must join. Come find me, my profile name is Catnip35, of course!
- I might try to read an actual book. Not even trash. Like to to the library and get something good for my brain.
- I’m thinking about getting another cat. George needs company. Really.
- I’m going to take at least one nap this week. But I’ll make up for the lost time by NOT COOKING at all this week. Unless I actually want to. But I’m not doing the dishes.
I may have too much on my plate this week, eh? Posting will depend on which of these items I choose to do and whether they are bloggable or not!
I have a million things in my head and the only way to deal with it is to spew it all out in stream of consciousness bullets! Ready? Okay!
- Google Analytics and Feedburner are killing me. It’s me, not them. Apparently, I’m too dumb to use them.
- If the new feed looks wonky still, I apologize! It’ll work itself out. I hope.
- We’ve officially had two days of summer vacation, and it’s already killing me. He never. stops. talking.
- and following me around.
- and asking for snacks.
- It’s DH’s and my Thirteenth Anniversary today and we both forgot. Again. At least I remembered before the day was over this time! We’ll celebrate one night next week when the boy is at the MIL’s for 5 days.
- The boy is going to the MIL’s for 5 days next week!!! Woohoo!
- Blog Nosh Magazine is launching tomorrow!!
- I had to stop halfway through this post and get the boy another snack. Holy moly.
- I’m continuing to look for the best “Homemaking” posts out there. Do you have any great old posts on cooking, gardening, organizing, green/simple living, or home interior/exterior design? Email me links to the post, catnip35 at gmail dot com!
- My darling friend Beaglemum is coming to visit me this weekend, with the baby! Yay!
- That means more cleaning. Booo. Heh.
- We’ve had rain here almost everyday for weeks. That means we haven’t been able to mow the lawn. It’s a jungle out there. As in, the grass is now reseeding itself. Anyone own a thresher we can borrow? Or a goat?
- That also means the tomato plants are also doing really well!
- I’m trying to grow my bangs out and they’re in that awkward stage. I know you know the what I mean. I’m fighting the urge to trim them. Help me.
- My tivo taped the original Parent Trap last weekend. My tivo knows me really well. Guess what I’m doing while I write this post? 🙂
Filed Under Uncategorized Tagged blog nosh, blogging, life, random, the boy
If you’ve read much of this blog, or if you know me irl, you are well aware that cleaning is my least favorite thing to do on the planet. Seriously. When I told DH I was going to be working on the Homemaking Channel for Blog Nosh Magazine he actually laughed and said “well, maybe you’ll learn something.” (Don’t condemn him, it’s no worse than I thought myself AND he helps around here way more than most husbands!)
Anyway, DH took the boy to t-ball awhile ago and I decided to stay home and try to accomplish something. Something immensely productive. I needed to clean the family room. This is the room where the boy and I spend most of our time during the day. Many of his toys and craft items are here, and my work stuff is all here. This fact will be important later – I work sitting in the middle of the couch with all my shit stuff spread out around me. (Mostly because my desk is too cluttered to actually work at. Sigh.) You might already know, but I am a freelance photo editor. That means I always have manuscripts, layouts, pens, highlighters, a water bottle, a coffee mug (well balanced of course), paper clips, date planner, etc. next to me at all times. Yeah, on the couch. It drives DH crazy because he can never come sit next to me. I digress.
I needed to clean because I have overnight company coming it was dirty. As I’m vacuuming it occurred to me that someone might need to sleep on the couch later this week, and god forbid someone might pull the cushions off of it. So I bit the bullet and decided to clean under the cushions. Oh. My. God. Needless to say I am sitting on a very clean couch as I type this.
Confession time. Here is the horror list of what I found, not including Hershey Kisses wrappers just regular trash.
- Popsicle sticks. At least 20 of them. Now one or two and it wouldn’t haven’t even made the list. But 20?
- Pens, highlighters, markers. A good thirty or so total. This is the part where you say, “You dumb shit, you work sitting on your couch. What did you expect?”
- Crochet hooks. Three of them! This is why I stopped crocheting last winter, I couldn’t find any hooks.
- A pot holder. Yeah, really, a Christmas themed pot holder.
- White-Out. A whole bottle, luckily closed up tight.
- A cordless phone. (!) Apparently the back of the couch has this really deep area that I’ve never seen before. I’ve been looking for this phone for, well, let’s just say a long time. I’m trying to charge it up now, to see if it still works.
- Paperclips and binder clips. Too numerous to count. I was going to buy some more this weekend. Now I don’t have to!
- Post-its. Cute little pink ones.
- Rubber bands. The office kind and the hair kind. Those are never going in my hair again. At least I can wash the barrette, and little tiny hair clips I use when I when my hair falls in my face that I also found.
- Legos. Legos, Legos, and more Legos. And various other toys. Like a fake cockroach. I really hope it was fake. (Kidding! We don’t have cockroaches in NH, we have ants. Lots and lots of ants.)
- My library card. That’s a good thing, I have overdue books.
I’m pretty sure I deserve a second cup of coffee for all of that. Or a nap. Or a cleaning lady.