I couldn’t just let the day go by without a mention of George!
He’s happy, and super snuggly, and even likes to play again. He follows me around all day, finds every sunbeam that shines into the house, and he’s certain Josh is part of his kitten pack.
I know things can, and eventually will, take a downturn for him again at any time, but for now he doesn’t seem sick at all. Almost fourteen years ago we adopted this sweet young cat that someone had just dropped on the side of the road and left there. I’m soooo glad we did.
I’ve been remiss in keeping up my crazy cat lady image so I thought I’d give you an update on old George.
He’s still old. Elderly in fact. He’s also still alive. We weren’t too sure he would be by now so this is a good thing!
He’s also still pretty dang cute. Unfortunately, he’s big on trapping us for long periods of time in strange places. Since he got sick we feel kind of guilty when we have to push him off so there’s a lot of this going on.
I think he’s happiest laying on Damon’s iPad. Damon isn’t particularly thrilled about it. I’m fine with it though, since his second favorite place is on my neck/armpit/face.
He still has kidney problems, is too thin, and has to eat crazy expensive food. (He’s not supposed to much dry food now, it’s too hard on his system.) It’s taken MONTHS of trying different canned foods but I’ve finally found one that’s he’s actually willing to eat AND he doesn’t throw up.
Lemme repeat that. HE’S NOT THROWING UP.
If you’ve been reading here for any length of time you know what a frigging miracle this is. Go ahead and search “cat puke” on my blog and you’ll see it’s been a running theme for many years. Go on, I’ll wait here.
Of course, the horking finally stopped about a week AFTER I broke down and bought a steam carpet cleaner because the regular old spraystuff just wasn’t cutting it on the cream rug anymore. Yeah, it’s cream, not cream with tan spots as otherwise assumed. Ahem.
So now I take regular trips to the Pet Smart for the most expensive, organic, grain free, preservative free cat food on the planet instead of being able to grab whatever is on sale at Target. You guys, this means he eats better than we do. Sigh.
Yeah, we think so.
I hope I haven’t jinxed us by writing about it. ~fingers crossed~
If I don’t answer the phone, it’s probably because I can’t get up, and not because I’ve fallen, but because I’m stuck here under a cat and I don’t have the heart to move him.
But he’s been my baby for 13 years. He was my baby before I had a baby. He’s my shadow and Josh’s best buddy.
George isn’t doing great. He’s lost a bunch of weight over the last few months. We did some bloodwork earlier in the week to rule out some things and tomorrow he’s going to be sedated so he can have an ultrasound and x-rays.
Fingers crossed we can figure this out and it’s an easy fix.
Update: George has kidney disease and possibly some issues with his liver, both common in aging cats. We’ll be treating with a renal friendly diet and, of all the strange things, Pepcid. It’s really hard to cut those teeny tiny pills into quarters. It’s even hard to shove a 1/4 of a pill into George’s mouth and make him swallow. He’s too smart for me to hide it in his food. Anyway, for now we’re just going to love, and pet, and snuggle him as long as we have him.
TGIF y’all. I can’t even. Just TGIF.
So who else had one of THOSE weeks??
- Josh has a cold. Now I’m getting a cold. When I get a cold I tend to snore. (Don’t we all? Please say you snore when you’re sick too!)
- When I snore I don’t sleep well. Hence desperation for a nap mid-day, every day.
- I’m on so many deadlines I can barely breathe much less take a nap.
- Yesterday I was wide awake at 3:30 am. For the day.
- By 1pm I couldn’t take it any longer. My brain was non functioning so I gave up and laid down on the bed for a quick nap.
- I didn’t even get under the covers or turn on a light. I just sorta fell there, then the cat curled into my armpit and we zonked.
- When I awoke I couldn’t figure out why my clothes were wet. No, I didn’t pee myself. No, the cat didn’t pee on me. No, I wasn’t in a feverish sweat…
- Wait for it…
- I was laying in CAT PUKE.
- Apparently not long before I went upstairs George had been in the bed by himself and horked everywhere. Like projectile baby vomit, but worse.
- I slept for an hour in it and didn’t know!!
- I think I’m cured of ever, ever, needing a nap again. (Or not.)
- And I might just have to buy a new bedspread.
Yeah, you better hide your face.
That was just ONE DAY. How was your week??
This is today.
Can I cry now?
His attitude hasn’t changed much.
I found the old shirt. We decided it was good luck since the Pats beat the Panthers that year.
We put it on a stuffed bear but that wasn’t nearly enough fun.
So we put it on George.
No cats were harmed in the making of this post.
Mostly he just wanted to lie down.
Or rip my face off.
Best photo shoot ever.
Fingers crossed the Patriots win this one!
Filed Under humor, photos, the boy, the cat Tagged humor, Patriots, photos, the boy, the cat
Could you say no to this face? Of course not. I’m too dang cute to say no to.
Would someone please tell that to these humans I live with. They won’t let me do ANYTHING fun anymore. No chasing birds, no leaving dead moles on the doorstep (best present evah!!), no eating grass, no nothin’ fun. Humph.
The only thing I get to chew on anymore is my own freaking foot. Much more of this and I swear I will bite the hand that feeds me. Um, again.
BUT MOM, IT’S SOOOO NOT FAIR!! He’s on MY porch!! I am really not liking this whole being an indoor kitty thing. I. am. a. mighty. hunter. and I need my freedom.
This is totally beneath my dignity. I must nap now so I can romp and mrroww all night and annoy the humans until they relent. Resistance is futile.
Unless you have kitty treats.
He has no trouble relaxing amid the chaos.
I, on the other hand, am going insane.
Movers come tomorrow at 8 am to load up. We close on both homes on Thursday. The movers arrive at the new condo at 8 am on Friday. I might not survive this…
Long story short; every fall one or two mice get in the house. I wish I could find the dang hole they use. Gross, I know, but we are surrounded by woods, so it’s to be expected. And it’s why we have a cat, the mighty hunter George. Anyway.
A week or so ago we had a bit of late night excitement when George caught a mouse and proceeded to play with said dead rodent in the hall outside Josh’s bedroom door. I guess he wanted to give his boy a present. Damon picked it up with a paper towel and threw it outside.
A half hour later, more commotion ensued when George chased another mouse around the foyer. Do they travel in pairs? Ick. Damon trapped that one in the powder room. Tried to get George to go in and kill it. He wanted to play with it instead so Damon had to kill it himself. ~shudder~ I might have stayed in the next room.
Cut to tonight. Damon left for Florida early this morning. Josh just fell asleep. I am chilling with my crocheting and my Property Ladder on HGTV when I hear a ruckus in the hall. I pretend I don’t hear it. I really don’t want to know.
George comes trotting in with what looks to be a dead mouse. Looks. Did you know mice play possum? I didn’t either. Unless it was just stunned. Anyway, I thought it was dead so I tried to get George to drop it so I could, um, dispose of it. Ew. Only he wouldn’t let go. I should have known then, but noooo, I had to follow him around the house. Around and around and around the house. We have a circular floor plan. Around and around and around. Until! Yes! He dropped it! I can pick it up with this paper towel and…
Uh. It’s tail moved. It’s running. It’s cornered again! Bottom of the stairs! Three way standoff. I dare not move for fear it will run again. Like toward me. George makes his move! And just wounds it. Dude. I’m dying here. Wait that’s the mouse. Dying on my area rug. “Kill it George!” I whispered but George just looked at me proudly as it lay there kicking. And not dying fast enough. ~gag~
Hey Damon. I had to use one of your sneakers to beat the mouse to death. Hope you don’t mind. (And come home soon!)
Then I threw it outside. Of course, George escaped while the door was open. Because I am stupid. I almost let him stay out. Instead I put on shoes and went out in my pjs and got him. He waited for me, in the middle of the yard, proudly sitting next to his prize.
Let me just say, there better not be another effing mouse in this house tonight. Or tomorrow we’re going to a hotel.
My evening was Awe. Some. How was yours?
George says his evening was just fiiiine.
Mouse breath better not try to snuggle with me tonight either. Just sayin.
…sleep on his bathrobe.
Why the guilty look George? Or is it that you want to claw my eyes out for interrupting your nap?
A few days ago Josh wore a funny shirt to school that said “I’m allergic to homework” – typical sort of thing for a 2nd grader. Except, then he rationalized to the teacher that it was actually true. And I quote “I’m allergic to pollen, and pollen is on trees, and paper comes from trees and homework is on paper, so I really am allergic to homework!” Oy vey.
If you have a good answer to any or all of these, please tell me in as much detail as possible! 🙂
- How many times can you get your family to eat the same leftovers? Or do they never eat them?
- Do you get enough vegetables into your husband kids and if yes how? If not do you feel guilty about it?
- If you work at home how do you keep motivated midday when no one would ever know if you took a nap on the couch/watched tv/ate bon bons?
- How do you keep your kid’s toys from burying you alive?
- Ditto the mail and the laundry?
- Do you let your children watch tv in the morning before school?
- Do you do anything special with your kids during your spouse’s business trips? Special meals, change up the schedule, anything? Go into survival mode and hope for the best?
- Do you pack a lunch for your kids everyday or do they eat school lunch?
- How do you retrain a cat to indoor only after being outdoors in the daytime for years?
- How do you retrain one to poo in his litter box instead of on the floor next to the box, even when the box is brand new? (The cat, not the kid…)
- Does your cat/dog/hamster sleep in your child’s bed?
- Are you slowly or quickly going insane?
Bonus points if you can guess MY answers to those questions.